Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this unusual

YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I have a chrysanthemum that should be a Gompie White but it has somehow managed to turn out like this.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've never grown them, but I've seen dahlias do this. 

Blame it confused genes.

Devon.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I don't think it's two plants it's one but mutatedimage
  • It is what is called a sport, a mutation, where the plant changes colour, if you cut the changed colour stem and lay it on a tray of compost it will or should root at the parts of the stem where there are leaves just remove the leaves, this will give you cuttings of the new colour, I did this with a chrysanth many years ago quite successfully, many chrysanths mutate.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Its one plant Verdun.  The larger flower in the middle is half pink and half white.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

How odd image

• Yviestevie, If there isn't a sport of this plant now available it may be possible to offer the plant to a chrysanth grower to produce it and have it classified as Pink Gompie, the one that sported with me has been grown all round the UK.

There is a pink gompie, I have three but they havent opened yet, There is also a bronze one which I have and that has opened true to colour.

I bought the plants from Woolmans, I suppose they may know if it's been done before.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

that cat scares the bejeezus out of me

Devon.

I've just emailed Woolmans, I'll let you know what they say.