Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Italian rye grass seeds

My mum gave me some of the above and in just wondering if anyone has grown it? IM guessing its a tall grass image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Rye grass is usually used as part of a hardwearing lawn. Mow regularly to desired height.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I don't know about suitable for lawns. I have used it for reseeding a cow paddock, mixed with other grasses. It grows fast and tall but only lasts about 3 years. Farmers use it as a catch crop.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Too tough and course for lawns, I think.
  • Sowed it as a lifter with Vicia sativa (sinker and fixer). Nothing! I sowed it too late, the ground was too heavy or the wood mice ate it.

It's usually for overwintering or agi use. When were you planning to dig it in? 

• I wasn't, the seeds were given to my mum as part of a kit to plant in a container, was just trying to find out abit of info might not plant then image
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

http://www.bridportcommunityorchard.org.uk/styled-3/styled-22/files/italian_rye_grass.jpg

Strange, not an ornamental grass for a container. You'd do better with something like a pennisetum.

It. rye grass in pic.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Ah ta, it was part of a kit with a small grass for front and this for back, ill offer it to people then image