Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

It's a mystery ....

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've been watching this mystery seedling grow into a plant in what I thought was a pot of nothing but compost where some cuttings had failed to take.  Now it has a flower.

Any ideas please folks?

It looks taller but is about 12" high.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Looks like coriander to me, Dove.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The two types of leaf remind me of Burnet Saxifrage, but the flowers are different. Fairly sure it's a member of the Apiaceae.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Thanks Bob image  So it does  ..... although the flowers are pinker than I'm used to.

And I've just tasted it - it tastes like coriander too - how funny - I've not sown any here for at least two years and then it was direct-sown into the veg garden.   And I've not bought any in pots either 'cost OH gets bunches from the farm shop.  Fancy it popping up like that  - but then that's what seeds do. 

It's the pinkness of the flower and stem that threw me - and the fact that Ammi majus popped up unannounced elsewhere in the garden earlier this year.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• It's amazing how seeds sometimes find their way into the most unexpected places isn't it! image  I had some rather pretty red lettuces popping-up in my borders this year the seed of which must have been blown there from some I left to go to seed in the veg beds a couple of years ago.  I thought lettuce seed was short-lived and rather delicate but apparently not!  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Coriander looks a much better bet!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Orlaya Grandiflora crossed with coriander? Plants are promiscuous image