London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
14 messages
26/04/2013 at 22:24

Hello all I am hooping you can kindly help me, I purchased a fuchsia standard from the rhs show in Cardiff a few days ago, I managed to plant it out in the ground but after just a few days it has broken at the main stem due to heavy wind. Is there any way I can save it I feel dreadful after all the effort that would gone into looking after it to get it to the standard it was ive brought it home and seem to have completely ruined it. Any help would be most appreciated It has just happened today.

26/04/2013 at 22:54

Did it break all the way through with no bark still connected?

26/04/2013 at 23:39

Yes I'm afraid so, there was a very thin bit which i think was still connected when it got damaged but my dad came across it first and he broke it off when he couldn't think of anything else to do and put it in water to try to save it ( he doesn't have green fingers I'm afraid)

27/04/2013 at 06:16

If you have some stem left it will probably shoot again. Make sure that you put a clean cut where the damage was.

27/04/2013 at 08:11

It is far too early to plant a Fuchsia out in the garden.

We live just North of Cardiff and had a frost last night.

Most standard ones are the more exotic,  tender, big flowered ones that have probably been brought into leaf and flower extremely early by growing them in a heated greenhouse.

It has probably not been hardened off.

Only hardy Fuchsias will survive outside when we are still getting cold nights.

I would not risk it outside until end of May.

It will definitely need to kept in a frost free place over winter.

27/04/2013 at 09:25

Well, sadly it sounds as if it's not going to be a standard any more - did it have a stake?

And has been said - too early to put standard fuchsias outside, but we live and we learn, especially in gardening. 

If you give it some shelter and tlc it will shoot again from the base and you will have a bush fuchsia.  And I would take lots of cuttings from the top piece and then you can grow your own standard, and think how proud you will be 

But keep your standards staked and in pots so you can move them into shelter in the winter without digging them up.

27/04/2013 at 10:05

Take a cutting and start over again,Fuchsias grow very quickly.As the plant grows pick out all side shoots but leave the leaves on, dont let the plant flower until it has reached the required height.  Pick lower leaves off as plant strengthens.

27/04/2013 at 11:01

Hello all and thank you for your advice, it is most appreciated. I will dig up the base and put it back in the pot and bring it inside I feel a bit better knowing I haven't fully killed it and with some tlc it can be brought to (maybe half) of it's former glory.

Dovefromabove yes it did have a stake I was told by the lady at the rhs that it was okay to take it outside but keep it away from wind and direct sunlight, but as silver surfer mentioned it is probably still too cold for it...

I've never taken a cutting from a plant before is there a guide on how to do it correctly on here? 

27/04/2013 at 12:09

Hi Reena goggle Lockyer Fuchsias and you will see video clips in how to take cuttings and grow a standard fuchsia plus many more things about this great plant good luck.

28/04/2013 at 10:29

Is this is a grafted fuschia, I had assumed it was? This is just two different, closely related, plants which are joined - a method most commonly used with apple trees so that they're not so big. If so the rooting section will be a different plant and taking cuttings from the top growth is essential to get a clone with the same flowers. 

To find out look below at the main head of growth where it joins the upright stem, somewhere around there there will be a gnarly bulge,(see photo below) some thin wax maybe, and possibly a change in bark colour. If you can't see any signs of this then your roots will hopefully produce the same plant, just not a standard.

Good luck.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22749.jpg?width=300&height=200&mode=max

28/04/2013 at 10:36

Oh, and when it re-grows, if it gets big then stake it if you live in a very windy position.  Put a long chunky piece of wood in the planting hole beside the roots, knock it in firmly, put the soil back, and tie the plant to the stake - ideally this should be long enough to reach just below the first shoots so that it doesn't block/damage the plant's growth - put a piece of string/rope/rubber around the stem, cross it over like an 8 and then tie the ends around the stake, should be about 3-4" below the top of the stake. Tie firmly enough to support the plant but not enough to damage and cut into the bark. Oh, and the stake should be on the windward side, about 2-3" from the plant.

11/09/2013 at 22:43

Hello all,

i just thought I would post on here to say a huge thank you to all the great advice I got on saving my fuschia I am happy to say that it re grew and has flowered beautifully the past month. It now has a lovely home in the sheltered part of the garden and as I've kept it in a pot I will be bringing it indoors this winter. 

Thank you all I couldn't have done it without you! 

12/09/2013 at 06:53

How lovely to have good news - thanks for letting us know 

12/09/2013 at 08:14

I do love a happy ending

email image
14 messages