Start a new thread

I know it's been mild but I found this in the garden at the weekend. A poppy head, left for decoration, has sprouted hundreds of seedlings.

nutcutlet

I've heard of that happening but never seen it before. There are a lot of babies there.

KEF

Impressed, never seen that happen before. Are you going to do something with them?

Advertisement

Never seen this before, very similar to leeks producing 'grass'

fidgetbones

I think its this weird weather. wet and mild. I have teasels doing the same thing.  The sweet peas were germinating in the pods. I planted them and now they are 2 inch high.

It's actually gone in the green bin. I assumed that they wouldn't transplant at this time of the year and I still have half a packet of seeds left which I will start off in February. It was supposed to be black but was in fact deep purple.

nutcutlet

I suspect some will have dropped to the ground and will perform for you next year.

Dovefromabove

I can remember on the farm, in some very wet years,fields with the ears of wheat germinating on the stalk - a crop and a whole year's work ruined 

How strange, I've never heard of this happening before.

artjak

I had never heard of it either. I was in Cuba a few years back, travelling by train and saw fence posts sprouting with new leaves as the growing conditions are so good there.