London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
5 messages
26/05/2013 at 21:37

Hi - I have planted six ivy plants around the retaining walls around my garden.  The walls are not near the house, are in excellent condition and are about 20metres long by 4 metres high - ugly and bare concrete which I cannot wait to cover up! The selection of ivy i have got here are self clinging types.  Should I put up some wire and attach the ivy to the wall to start it off or if i leave it will it find the wall and attach itself?  Im not sure how to get it established and would appreciate your advice please.  Thanks.

26/05/2013 at 21:55

It won't need wire don. I did once stick some ivy to a wall with waterproof sticky tape to get it started though I expect it would have done without.

26/05/2013 at 22:21

A cane leant against the wall will do the job too. Like nut, I think I've used tape before to attach it and give it a bit of help. It  pays to separate the individual 'stems' so that you can spread them out a little rather than leaving them all in a single clump.

26/05/2013 at 22:24

Now I think of it that was why I stuck it to the wall Fg, So I could point them in a good direction for a start. It was 40 years and 4 gardens ago, no idea if it was successful.

27/05/2013 at 09:01

Haven't tried this, but I believe a blob of clear sealant (like you use for sealing bathroom units etc) will hold the shoot to the surface. But as others say, you'd only need to do this at first, to get the ivy to understand where you want it to go (rather than horizontally across your garden, etc, which it will also want to do).

email image
5 messages