10 messages
29/08/2013 at 21:53

Hi all, new here, so I hope Im following the rules.

I have a garage wall and I want to grow Ivy down the wall from the roof. My plan was to plant it in grow bags and grow it down the wall. My questions are;

-will grow bags be suitable (I'd like to use them to contain the soil to stop it from running off the roof)?

- is it too late on the season to plant the ivy?

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Sam

29/08/2013 at 22:05

Well that's a new one on me! 

What is the roofing material? Will it need replacement, treatment or cleaning in the future? You don't want to be fighting with heavy soggy bags full of ivy stems if it will.

29/08/2013 at 22:10

Don't think it will actually grow down the wall it will just dangle as it will want to grow upwards. If it grew to a substantial size the weight may pull the bags off the roof. Never come across this idea before.

29/08/2013 at 22:11

and they'll need watering, it's a long way up there. sounds nice to look at though.A curtain of ivy.

29/08/2013 at 22:12

Is there anypartcular reason why you don't want it to grow the way it wants to i.e. upwards? 

29/08/2013 at 23:12

Thanks for the responses. I only want to grow it downwards because there is a bench below. Dangling would be fine and watering isn't an issue as I can get to it easily enough. Should these grow fairly easily? And is it too late in the year to start? I was going to plant about 16 plants over 4 metres to create this 'curtain' (I like that nutcutlet). Is this too many or too few?

30/08/2013 at 07:02

I'm afraid I can't see it working - what about your guttering?  Apart from the ivy blocking any guttering the bags will impede the flow of rain off the roof, causing all sorts of problems 

The plants will prefer to grow upwards up the pitch of the roof (supposing it's a pitched roof).

Ivy can be absolutely rampant and when wet with rain it'll be really heavy and as has been said, may pull the bags off the roof.  The bags will also be heavy when full of compost and water - is the structure of the roof sound enough to support it?  Also putting something like that on the roof may cause damp penetration and rot. 

I'm sorry, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm sure there are better ways to get some greenery along the wall of that garage ....  if you post a photo of it we might be able to make some helpful suggestions 

01/07/2014 at 15:37

Thanks for the responses! I took them on board and used black troughs instead. I planted some ivy and evergreens and a few summer seeds and it is now flourishing - nice and colourful with the ivy starting to spread as I wanted it to. Thanks!

01/07/2014 at 15:45

Sam  thanks for getting back to us - I'd love to see a photo 

01/07/2014 at 17:33

Why not grow some sort of virginia creeper, upwards.  It is very quick and actually rampant.  I have it falling downwards across windows (after coming sideways) if you see what I mean.  It changes to wonderful colours later and I change bedrooms just to lie in bed and stare at it.  Ivy, which I also have, is dangerous stuff in the wrong place. Very damaging and to sit under would be dusty and frankly horrible.  Good for birds nests, tho.

email image
10 messages