London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
4 messages
12/02/2012 at 21:25

I am looking to plant a vigorous growing ivy that will provide shelter for birds and insects and has lots of good berries. Any suggestions would be very welcome as I am not having much luck in garden centres! Thanks

13/02/2012 at 19:07

it sounds ridiculous, but I bought all mine from Ikea! I had the same problem as you, I couldn't find a decent one anywhere. Accidently found a great one called Hedera Helix on a window shopping trip and I couldn't be happier with it.

Most ivy's are fast growers anyway, but I chose this one because they have lovely variegated leaves which turn a lovely red in winter. I use it to cover the wall around my garden, and three plants has been enough to cover a stretch about 20feet long in just over a year.

Good luck with your search!

14/02/2012 at 15:05

Hi Sandra 3, if you don't mind waiting, you could just encourage blackbirds into your garden and wait for them to bring local ivy into your garden for you! Our resident blackbird deposited five ivy seeds last year, which I've transplanted and are now growing very happily against my wall. Much easier than going out to find it!

Kate

14/02/2012 at 16:17

Can I just add, that ivy is extremely easy to propagate from cuttings. All you need to do is find a bit, preferrably with good roots that are going into soil, but it could be a bit with aerial roots that are going into a wall, pin it down onto a tray with compost, water, and wait. Soon you'll have several new plantlets.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

email image
4 messages