London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
17 messages
25/03/2013 at 19:12

do these need to be divided as mine have not produced the same number of flowers and used to be big and it is not 

25/03/2013 at 21:13

I don't really know, having never kept them, but I use just looked online and I dont think so, but dig one up just to check whether it has produced new bulbs and if it has, you know they need to be divided

25/03/2013 at 21:55

I find that they spread underground and lose their effectiveness. I just leave mine, which may not be the right thing to do. Interested like you in what others might say. If you dig up you will not find a bulb, more a mess of roots.

25/03/2013 at 21:56

Japanese anemones aren't bulbs. They have thickish roots that will make new plants from root cuttings. They just spread, sometimes more than you want. Lots of things didn't do well last year Rosemarie. Was it last year only that it was poor?

25/03/2013 at 22:37

Sorry nutcutlet, wasn't really sure, just trying to help, but I'm glad someone knows, I might even get some now

25/03/2013 at 22:43

I should if you got a bit of space. Rosemarie's are giving trouble but usually they spread around and are great in late summer/autumn

26/03/2013 at 07:14

They are pretty tough but although they like to be moist in summer, they  don't like to be wterlogged, especially in winter. Last year was so wet, they might just have suffered from waterlogging. If the ground is very wet, you might try moving them somewhere better drained. They are said not to like being moved, but I've done it a number of times with no problem.

26/03/2013 at 07:56
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

They are pretty tough but although they like to be moist in summer, they  don't like to be wterlogged, especially in winter. Last year was so wet, they might just have suffered from waterlogging. If the ground is very wet, you might try moving them somewhere better drained. They are said not to like being moved, but I've done it a number of times with no problem.

i've moved the too. They like to seed around as well so maybe it is just weather/location issue. I love them.

26/03/2013 at 07:56

I shall be interested to see the effects of last year's extreme wet on the garden generally. Some things will have thrived. I have a cardamine out now that's never had so many flowers,  that will have loved the wet. Some probably will have struggled or given up. We shall see. 

26/03/2013 at 08:03

Thank I've lost a few things. As you say, we'll see.

26/03/2013 at 08:06

This endless winter won't help either. But it does mean the decorating project is speeding ahead.

26/03/2013 at 08:07

Well done!

26/03/2013 at 14:07

I think if they are not flowering so well and they have grown bigger its time to divide up and make more.

Lyn
26/03/2013 at 14:19

I have saved more than I had hoped for, just had a walk about!

Delphiniums, lupins, erygium, honesty, alliums, some big thing begining with Z, ? something like a lily, (or maybe is a lily). Sambuca, geranium been there all winter so must  be evergreen, few more things, hebe, euonymous etc.

what I have lost though, is the big tall echiums, I couldnt keep the fleece on them in the wind and they are black and bent over. Shame, I was looking forward to seeing them, they are like palm trees!

I am going to try moving some bits of the japanese anemone, maybe a bit later, not sure really when to try it.

26/03/2013 at 14:22

in the warm weather ,I like  to say spring but that's out of question now.

Lyn
26/03/2013 at 14:29

Thanks flowering rose, at the moment the ground is frozen, maybe at the weekend.

26/03/2013 at 15:39

Japanese Anemones are quite 'late to show' in spring IME, but if their flowering has decreased cf previous yrs & the clump is big, then yes I'd split them as soon as your ground is workable.

I did that to my big clump of September Charm a couple of yrs back. You discard the older parts & replant the newer. It did flower sort of last yr, but should be better this yr.

I've just looked out of the window & mine is only just showing. Am in NWest. I now have the clump overplanted with small bulbs such as snowdrops & species crocus which will be dying back as the JA starts up. So double use of the space!

BTW I cant get JA Honorine Jobert to like my garden. Given up trying with it now, but others do well for me. J.

email image
17 messages