Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Japanese anenome

Foxy66Foxy66 Posts: 6
I have a formal garden with 4 boxed areas which I would like to grow lavender in all 4. In 2 of the areas we have jap anenome at the mo. I have been advised not to plant anything in these areas for 3 years until the jap anen has been dug up and erased. I can't wait 3 years though as I want to start enjoying the garden. Would a membrane work? I am a complete novice and in need of advice! Many thanks 

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

A lot of people like Japanese Anemone, I can't stand it.  It has proved to be a real thug in my garden.  I am currently in the process of getting rid of it.  Firstly, I dug up as much as I could.  Every bit of root you leave in the garden starts a new plant so try not to leave any.  That said you will inevitably leave some behind.  As soon as it starts to show leaves above ground use glysophate on the leaves.  I used Round Up gel and smear it on the leaves every fortnight.  I will keep doing this until no more appears. 

I have replanted the area even though the JA is still showing through, I'll just have to work round it.

Good luck.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I agree with Verdun and Stevie that membrane would almost certainly not work in this instance & that cultivation & zapping are the only way to go.

Do you know how long the plants have been there Foxy? If they are still (relative) babies (say 1 - 3 yrs old) the root systems will be much less developed and much easier to dig out. If, however, they are established plants it will be harder to eradicate them.

I suggest you dig the 2 beds over systematically & thoroughly as soon as you can and try to remove every last bit of the root systems. Then go back and dig them again in 2 weeks time - you will almost certainly have missed some. Assuming the beds are relatively small I, personally, would repeat the process a couple more times at 2 - 3 week intervals - depends how keen you are. By then we will be into early summer so I would take Verdun's advice and perhaps put some annuals in for this year & apply weedkiller if any new anemone growth does pop up.

I suppose you could pack pots of lavender in the beds (if the pots would be hidden by the box hedging) and just lift them out every couple of weeks to check for new anemone growth - but I would probably be more inclined to go with the annuals

I would hope the programme of planned cultivation and systemic weedkiller could eradicate the problem in one season but, if it doesn't, I am afraid there is little point in planting the lavender until you are on top of the problem. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Re Topbird's suggestion.

Pots of lavender could be removed for weedkilling. It would be harder to spray weeds without harming the annualsimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

My nemesis image

My husband thinks i'm totally obsessed with eradicating this plant - but obsession is what it takes to clear.

I'm into my second year of eradicating 1 patch (about 5metres square) and I still managed to take out some additional large roots about 4 weeks ago that had been missed on my 5 previous pain-stakingly through digs!

I planted a few plants last autumn and a few this spring in areas that seemed to be cleared - I have glycophspate at the ready for this year. More worryingly I have a further 7metres square to clear that I eventually want to put raised beds on image

At least we wont be digging alone!

Forget planting for this year - dig like crazy and pick up every last bit of root and possibly you may be able to partially plant next year

• ...might think again about planting this in my front garden given the reports, I have a white version in a pot which is reported to be less thuggish - any truth in that rumour?

very pretty though 

clare 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    I waged war on inherited japanese anemones in my previous garden where they were real thugs in the borders. They were also a very boring dull pink & only flowered for about 2 weeks. Finally managed to restrain them into a couple of manageable patches.

I have, however, chosen to plant them in my new garden. I have chosen prettier colours and forms and last year they were in flower for nearly 3 months. They are in a large woodland border where not too much else is happening at ground level in late summer & I am happy for them to spread a little. I will, however, be nipping any signs of rampant take over in the bud!
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • I nearly lost two of mine when I moved them last yearimage they weren't happy at all and nothing has come up in the place I moved them from.

I wonder if it is different variants or different conditions or maybe both that makes it thuggish in some gardens...when I think of a plant that comes up everywhere or you never quite get the last bit of root J. anemone doesn't spring to mind for me...

Hope you get it sorted Foxyimage

Wearside, England.