London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
27/04/2013 at 20:47

Pick your collective garden brains here. 
I have a jewell border, based loosely on one that was at Chelsea a few years ago. (Not MD)  Through my Carex bronzita jewell coloured plants grow up. 

I have peone 'Buckeye bell'. Salvia nemerosa carradonna, Rose William Shakespeare 2000, Some iris - burgundy, sapphire blue, deep blue and a wine coloured one to go in. Growing through also is a selection of astrantias. and Lobelia 'Queen Victoria'. there should also be some bright orange tulips but seem to be bashful this year! 
I have widened this bed by about a foot on one side, and also pulled up some of the carex as it was taking over, I was going to put in some Bishop Dahlias till I discovered that they grow very tall, What i need is/are statement plants to come up like jewells. about 60cm - 70cm high 
I had forgotten I needed some until I dug over the bed today. 
It needs maybe 2 plants but they would be repeated as spots (does that make sense) 

Oh there are also lilies  if the lily beetles haven't had them

27/04/2013 at 20:50

Hi Matty - how about a veronica?  They are a gorgeous deep blue and do very well for me.  Can't remember its name, but it is only a short thing. 

27/04/2013 at 20:54

Any particular colour or colours Matty?

27/04/2013 at 20:58

They must be bold and well jewell-like  colours to look stunning (hopefully) not too bushy

27/04/2013 at 21:06

Will have a think!

27/04/2013 at 21:16

How about Achilleas, Alstroemerias,  Red hot pokers , Lupins and Penstemons. There's reds oranges and yellows in the first three and good purples in the two others? All 'spikes' rather than bushy. All fairly easy to get hold of and usually plenty of varieties in most GCs/nurseries.

Any good Matty?

27/04/2013 at 21:20

In oder of your list:

No, yes(maybe) , definately no, no, not really - 

Sounds fussy, I know but I've been though that lot in my mind.

-
27/04/2013 at 21:32

Love-in-a-mist, scabious, dwarf hollyhock Majorette (if you can find plugs),

some tall chrysanthemum (carinatum, e.g.) if the spot is not sunny enough.

28/04/2013 at 08:14

Some of the cannas are short enough for u. oriental poppies maybe? purple salvia nemorosa. allium 'purple sensation'. drumstick alllium. yellow achillea. daylilies. red astilbe. pink monarda 'prairienacht'.chocolate cosmos. dahlia 'bloodstone' or 'greenside antonia'. penstemon. lupin 'thundercloud'. Bx

28/04/2013 at 08:38

Hiya matty

I know what you mean by "jewels".....not as in montys garden though.

I use linum blue sapphire.....lovely glaucous moving spikey foliage with brightest blue flowers.

Stipa Tennuissima too as dots.  How about Imperata red baron.....from mid summer the grass is bright red, again as small jewels quite lovely. Elymus  magellanicus is the bluest grass around.....2' or so high....with good impact.

For summer....albeit hardy here....osteospermum Voltage Yellow flowers all summer on fresh green mound of foliage about 12" high.  Dont confuse this with other osteos...this is different. Also there is lovely,purple one.  The yellow though is stunning.  You can propagate in late Summer for plants next year

Liatris Comes in white and other colours.

I like the use of tender perennials as dot plants....or jewels....for the summer.  In autumn replace with bulbs or wallflowers  to renew the cycle 

28/04/2013 at 10:04

Couple just come to mind

Gaura lindheimerii corries gold.....3' or so variegated foliage, upright with butterfly white flowers

Another variegated plant is osteospermum Gweek variegated...Cornish plant....again with white flowers all summer on a mound

28/04/2013 at 10:49

There are lots of jewel-like dahlias. What about zinnias?

28/04/2013 at 10:51

Thought you might say busy lizzies, busy lizzie!

28/04/2013 at 10:55

I thought they were too short! And they prefer some shade!

28/04/2013 at 11:15

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6b25LAq89dY/T0zD3drGrqI/AAAAAAAAAQU/jdknyMx1eZ0/s1600/Knautia+macedonica+Mars+Midget.jpg

Just thought of something else having looked at the A - Z thread. Would Knautia Macedonica be any good or is it too bushy. Very easy to grow.

28/04/2013 at 11:22

Thanks - I thought knautia but I think it's a bit floppy. Already over run with Carex so don't need more grass

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22750.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22751.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Here are a couple of pictures. The biggest space is now behind the largest Salvia so it needs to be above it. A 'Full stop' is the best way I can describe what I need. Alliums are lovely but it needs to counteract the deep salvia but stand up in it's own right.

It is a lot less interesting now.

28/04/2013 at 11:45

Verbena bonariensis....tall but would look brilliant there.

See what you mean about carex so grasses would not fit in

Check out agastaches.....black adder may be too similar to your salvias....black/blue 4'' tall floweriing all summer....but Sangria is special.  A red/pink erect long flowering plant.  I had a couple near a blue Veronica lastsummer with tall variegated grasses and it looked good for very long time. Certainly a jewel in the crown.

.Just looking at your salvias check out dahlia Honka. This is a simple, single unusual yellow dahlia that takes your breath away.  Perfect contrast in colour and shape to your salvias

28/04/2013 at 18:01

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have noted them down and will now start the search.

to see which fits the best

29/04/2013 at 18:14

Hi again

Looked at that Dahlia Honka - quirky so have ordered some - it's not too late is it - Also ordered a coreopsis 'Limerick dream' for behind the larger salvia.

The tall effect should be from my struggling  Dierama 'Blackbird', Verdun, to drape itself over the fountain/bird bath

Today i have BFB and composted them 

29/04/2013 at 20:01

Matty

Honka will grow on ??ou.   I got to enjoy it more and more last summer.  It's left in the ground but think its shooting now.

Prob completely wrong but does your dierama get enough water over summer? Cant recall what you  said about that but a good soaking when warmer might be the solution

1 to 20 of 23 messages