Start a new thread
Sara 4

I bought some perennial bedding plants at a giveaway price, and these particular ones were called joysticks - long thin stems grow from a grassy looking tuft and have flowers rather like spherical scabious on top.  They are assorted shades of pink/purple.  My Mum would like some, the garden centre has sold out and nobody seems to know what we're talking about.  Any ideas?

X

Thrift - Armeria maritima?  Not sure its classed as a bedding plant though.

Sara 4

Very similar, but the stalks are longer (about 2 foot) and the flowers are more ball like - it does look like an old type gear stick - they look quite like alliums from a distance. I know a photo would help, but the battery in the camera has gone - I am going to visit my Mum tomorrow and I was hoping to buy one on the way.  Good guess though (and I had to google thrift to find out what it looked like, even though I have some).  Thanks for trying ....

fidgetbones

Actually no, not if they're 2 ft tall. Sorry brain not in gear yet, still in work mode.

Advertisement

Sara 4

The beastly camera would pack up just at the wrong moment (especially when I've just learned how to upload pictures to the site) I can see it's incredibly hard to guess from just my description, so thanks for trying.

Sara 4

Of course she is nutcutlet!  I looked up armeria maritima and didn't have the intelligence to think that maybe they could be a different sort of thrift.  Doh!  Apologies Paula, you and nutcutlet are both garden gurus.  Thank you very much, and Mum will be pleased too.

Sara 4

I like them and they deliver some interest at that height without filling the space up, too.

Dovefromabove

Aren't they?  What lovely looking plants and I can imagine all sorts of uses for them 

X

Didn't think they grew that tall, glad we could sort it out for you Sara 

fidgetbones

Shrubland park nurseries in Suffolk have them

Alsothatsilene  fimbriata that Monty Don had at chelsea