Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

June wedding flowers

Hi all

my daughter is getting married on June 17th next year and I'm going to have a go at growing flowers for small vases on tables in marquee and outside tables. Florist is doing main flowers and bouquets. 

Im going to use a bed in existing veg patch to grow flowers.im wondering what to grow which will be ready early June, wether to sow now or early next year & wether to sow straight in bed or to use greenhouse( unheated)

no real colour scheme but pastels mainly and as marquee  in a Victorian walled garden we want the flowers to look like they've 

just been brought in from the garden.

would love to read any suggestions please

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

I'm not sure about the actual plants, but the way the weather has been lately, you need belt and braces. Plant spring flowering and early summer flowering plants to be sure of having open flowers.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • A bit early for the leucanthemum superbum cultivars, but the native ox-eye daisy is great in a pot and certainly well in flower by then. Perhaps a few of the others 'brought on' in a greenhouse to bulk up the display.  Then consider the veronica longifolia cultivars, salvia nemorosa in its various forms, other salvias, too.  Nepeta grandiflora 'Dawn to Dusk', delphiniums, lupins . . . . . . .

H-C

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

As you mentioned 'small vases' I think some of the suggestions made will be too big. You could go for little dianthus, violas, small campanulas, the floral sprays from astilbes and tiarellas, you could grow some of the paler coloured calendulas too. Gypsophila for the airy greenery plus the flowers.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

This is a lovely idea but please bear in mind that whatever you manage to have in flower at the time, you will need time to cut the flowers and get them ready for the vases. Not all flowers last well so this should be done at the last minute so I hope you have organised a flower monitor to deal with all this. Whether you are going in for self catering or getting all that done by professionals, you really need to keep last minute jobs to the minimum to allow for any problems that will need to be sorted out at once. If your daughter's dress needs attention, she won't welcome your being out in the garden playing with posies.

• Thank you all - some interesting ideas for me to think on.

Ceres, I take your point about time etc- the flowers I'm hoping to do will only be 'extras' to the main ones , so I think should be okay & not a disaster if doesn't work out. I'm not going to get too stressed about it?

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Good. The last thing you need is extra stress. I think weddings are guaranteed to raise blood pressure to dangerous levels and it is only a contract signing ceremony (if only the participants could see it in that light).

Have fun.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

When planned my wedding I went for flower displays IN POTS. You can get beautiful pots and of course they'll be easy to bring in and out as required to force if the weather is poor / too good. A quick headdead the day before and anyone can plonk them on the table.

Plus no one would notice fake Moss to cover the cover..  or even fake flowers!

• Thanks Clarington- yes will be using pots for some displays and after ideas of what to put in them. Will be in crates, watering cans and wellies. Daughter still wants small vases on some tables though.