London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 31 messages
09/03/2013 at 20:58
just made my 1st ever hanging baskets now I am not sure where to store them due to the cold weather coming, this is my 1st ever attempt at any flower growing so I don???t know what to expect, any advice would be gratefully received thanks, cal
09/03/2013 at 21:00

When you say made-do you mean you have planted them up?-if so with what plants exactly?

09/03/2013 at 21:12
Sweet Williams trailing fushia, sweet pea and mini trailing petunias
09/03/2013 at 21:17

Petunias and fuchsia plants cannot go outside yet-they are not hardy-not until the beginning of May at the earliest

Sorry but this is a big mistake

09/03/2013 at 21:22
oh dear!! lol 1st attempt fail then woops
09/03/2013 at 21:37

maybe you can just keep them inside hung up, keep watering them and just wait untill the weather gets much better next year you will learn from this what i have done is bought myself a little jotter book and wrote things in when( planted and put out and how they did) i had trouble last year trying to do hanging chery toms and with having a stroke didnt seem to get what i was trying to do/ but i had some awful comments back some peaple for get there are new LEARNING gardeners out here any way hope you have a bit of look with your planting .

09/03/2013 at 21:42

We gardeners are so impatient aren't we lol.. I'm attemtping a courgette plant in my greenhouse at the moment, its growing really well but I may be stumped when it comes to the pollinating  maybe put them in the greenhouse for a while if you have one? or conservatory? If not could nivelac re-pot them stongeoff and keep them going until Spring eventually arrives?...Good idea Elsie123, I bought a little notebook, complete with pen...but always  forget to write it down my kids think I'm mad because I write the date planted on the pot labels, colour etc., ah youth...no idea eh they'll get it eventually

09/03/2013 at 21:45

nivlac-

-all is not lost presumably you can "unplant" them-put them back in pots-keep those frost free and replant nice healthy plants in a few weeks.

09/03/2013 at 21:53
Niviac, it is far too early to plant up with those plants...they need summer warmth and good light. If you can keep them indoors I would cut them back to make them bushy. There are plants for this time of the year you can use......pansies, violas,ivy, . Dont feel dis spirited though or discouraged. We have all made mistakes...growing in the wrong soil or putting plants in the wrong places....and I have been one of the worst. First attempts rarely tick all the boxes but we learn from them. I bet you will have a fantastic display in summer. Trailing plants like surfinias, verbenas, pelargoniums will prob be better.
09/03/2013 at 22:11
Thanks for all the comments I will defiantly learn from it and keep trying, we are hoping to buy our 1st bought house soon and I want to learn now to have a garden I can enjoy in the future when we do eventually buy it
09/03/2013 at 22:13

nivlac

Could I suggest get some reading material-ask questions on here first-people are only too willing to help-we all started somewhere

09/03/2013 at 22:14
Verdun errrr this might show how new to this I am CUT THEM BACK? Does that mean leave them in the basket and cut the stalks down, I am very new with no experience other than what I have tried to learn from Google
09/03/2013 at 22:17
I don???t really get time to read with 3 kids and a 60 hour a week job the best I have is Google in-between everything else going off, I did think I had researched the baskets but I must have misread or miss understood something!!!
09/03/2013 at 22:25
Nivlac it's just our weather at the moment is a bit cold that's all . Some start off plants, seeds, etc now but in heated greenhouses etc.
I'm on Scottish border and can't plant out until well into June so have to wait or grow inside the house on windowsills.

If you can unplant your baskets back into pots and keep plants indoors and cozy better, if not can you take baskets inside house , patio door floor , window sills if basket will sit... They just need more warm yet and week ahead isn't warm , don't want you to lose your plants .

Don't worry about garden words/jargon/language yet , ask questions ... We range from absolute no idea to expert on here , welcome to the gardeners
09/03/2013 at 22:28

Google just gives general advice and a lot of it is USA based

This forum is a much better source of information

09/03/2013 at 22:33
...just ask for Geoff
09/03/2013 at 22:54

May I just add that Sweet Williams (which are biennials) are really better planted in the garden than in a hanging basket. They are hardy and can go outside in a flower bed now, but they flower in early summer and won't carry on through summer to autumn like petunias and other half hardy annuals.

09/03/2013 at 23:02

They might survive inside a cold frame or plastic greenhouse (or conventional greenhouse), if covered with fleece at night.  We're due some nasty weather, I'm not sowing anything until April.

Better to sow/plant later & hope your plants will catch up, rather than sow early and loose everything to a hard frost.

Patience is a virtue, but it comes very, very hard and we all learn from our mistakes.

Don't be discouraged, you'll get it right next time.

10/03/2013 at 09:45

If you can unplant it then why not get some pansies or viola and plant it up with these for now. I got a tray of 20 tiny viola for £1.40 earlier in the week in B&Q. They also had larger pansies which could be planted into the basket now very cheap.

12/03/2013 at 21:10
Thanks for all the comments I think they are going to become a front room decoration for now as I get a lot of light in the front window, can i put them out in the day or did i misread the post about putting them out in the day?
I have got some viola that I picked up from b&q (20 foe ??1) they are still in there polystyrene I was going to plant these in a display box I have got its about 2 foot long, can I plant the violas in this now or should I wait a bit?
1 to 20 of 31 messages