London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
6 messages
21/08/2012 at 19:02

Hi, Is  it possible to keep Cosmos from year to year or is it purely an annual.  Have grown them for the first time this year and would love to keep them for next year, but wonder if it is best to start from scratch next year.

02/09/2012 at 17:49

you can collect the seed and grow them that.I have not been successful in keeping them but then I have very clay soil.

04/09/2012 at 10:06

I love Cosmos, but it is an annual, and would be best to grow from seed the following year.  I have had the odd seedling from old plants though.  They like poor soil too, so a good plant to grow just about anywhere.

04/09/2012 at 16:15
I understand the chocolate cosmos, as it's commonly known, is perennial. I think most other varieties are annuals.
04/09/2012 at 19:04

Thanks for the information.  I have collected afew seed heads of the fuchia coloured plants and will be looking out for the seed packets so that I can sow more next year.  They are beautiful plants.  Will also look out for a chocolate cosmos if it is perennial.

04/09/2012 at 20:45

Hello, my understanding is that Cosmos are annual plants, so I would suggest growing fresh from seed next year. I've been growing Cosmos Purity this year- lovely plants. May have a go at saving seeds but only as an experiment- in my opinion best grown fresh from seed every year

email image
6 messages