Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

kiwi vine

karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of identifying a self fertile kiwi plant from other varieties that require a male and female please? I bought a small plant from a garden centre a few years ago and have let it scramble through a willow tree. This year it has produced quite a few flowers for the first time. It would be lovely if it produced fruit, though it is overhanging the pond so I will have a problem there :/

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

If it produces fruit it is likely to be self fertile, though it could conceivably be a female if one of your close neighbours has a male....

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

I dont think any of my neighbours have one but I'm recalling now that my sister had one and she lives about quarter of a mile away, too far for a bee maybe but I'm thinking if mine isn't self ferile, fertile and we have one of each we could hand pollinate? Not something I've ever tried. And then again its not easily accessible because of the pond which is over 3ft deep. I love it because of its big leaves and red hairy stems so fruit would just be a bonus. My sister's seemed a different type (smooth stems) and I'm not sure she even still has it, it seemed to stay small but she did have it in the planters with veg. I'm off round there to ask :) Thankyou buttercup.

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

It did have a tag with its name and info etc but its long since been lost and I cant remember what it is. I am very happy with it as a climber but I spotted the flowers and thought WOW! I might get some kiwis, what a lovely surprise that would be this year :) Especially in  fte often drizzly Lancashire! Its hardy whatever it is :) Thankyou Philippa.