Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lacy phacelia purple tansy everywhere. Cruelty to bees.

a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

I sowed pruple tansy everywhere in my new garden several years ago, as a weed suppressant, soil improver etc. It seeds like crazy. The idea is where i put other plants in, i remove the purple tansy.  Simple eh?  

Now is the best time to take it out.  Its in flower, and other plants are coming up so they are crowded. It stops it seeding in the same beds next year.  Unfortunately it is totally covered in bees and other insects.  They love it.  I cant really do it, but i have far too much.  Any words of advice? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I couldn't do it either - just sit in the shade with a glass of something cool and enjoy watching the bees image

So it's going to seed again ...... collect the seeds and send some to me image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Can do, got lots. Ill go get a pic for you. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Its been so hot some of the flowers are close to setting seed.  Did you want to see if you can get some flowering this year Dove? Or is it for next year?

The plan is for next year image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd love some as well a1154 if you have enough image

PM me if you're able to get some and I'll send you the postage.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I love the stuff. Bees go really crazy for it. And the spirally flowers are amazing close up. You are a good soul to leave it image

Dove and Fairy, I have just got the bags out of the shed where the flower heads have been hanging.  It looks dry enough, but the seed doesnt fall out of the flowers, unless there is a tecnique i dont know about. Do you want some flowerheads as they are? 

i also have the v tall purple/pink/lilac poppies.  Seeds more easily got from those. 

• Happy to have the phacelia flowers as they are and I'll see what I can do with them. 

The problem is that at the moment PMs aren't working so I can't send you my address ... we'll have to wait until the Tech Team have sorted it out.

Thanks for remembering image