London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
01/09/2012 at 17:29

MD isn't just honest he he!

01/09/2012 at 17:37

Dahlias went out of 'fashion' a few years ago for some reason, why I do not know, they are wonderful garden plants and good in pots too.  I left mine in the ground till the dreadful winter of a couple of years ago when we nearly all lost the lot - once they are frost blackened, lift them, dry them off, keep in a box of slightly damp sand until the spring, when you can start them off early and take cuttings, getting lots of new plants for free - now that's always a good thing huh? 

01/09/2012 at 17:51
Dahlias are great for late summer colour but are dreadful otherwise, unless they have purple foliage. I have some nice varieties but they occupy space for other and better plants if used too much............stir, stir?
01/09/2012 at 18:09

i dont like them.. and the garden looked so cawdy to me.. shame about  MD's toms..

01/09/2012 at 18:31

What a great display and all that hard work and pride taken, but in the same frame of mind as Gardeningfantic, I'd rather watch MD and his blight riddend toms.  Sorry to sway off the thread but do Dahlias encourage bees and butterflies not sure if I read it somewhere.

regards

Chris

01/09/2012 at 18:58

I loved the dahlias and grow lots of them, the bees love the single flowered ones.

@break 23 they are a lot of work, I grow them in a seasonal border so when they finish flowering I will plant tulips and winter foliage and those will them come out next summer for the dahlias to go back in. If you have free draining soil you may be able to leave them in.

01/09/2012 at 19:02
I don't grow them myself, but I admire his passion. I do like to see them in a mixed border though. I particularly like the spikey ones and some of the singles are ver pretty.
01/09/2012 at 19:27

Never saw the show last night as i was babysitting for friends and i couldnt work out how to work the telly and the chidren were asleep so i couldnt ask them.

01/09/2012 at 20:25

It was a good programme last night and yes Monty was honest about his mistakes,that is what makes it.We all make mistakes even if we've had years of experience,you never stop learning.As to that lovely garden,its good to see someone with such enthusiasm but everyone has their special interest .Gardening is one place you can be your own  identity.

01/09/2012 at 21:32
Chris9 bees swarm around my dahlias but not sure that butterflies do
01/09/2012 at 21:34

I had no interest in Dahlia's until I bought Dahlia 'Moonshine' and have never looked back. The open flowered varieties are invaluable to Bees and the Butterflies seem to like them too!  I now have a good few varieties and plan to have more, my garden is buzzing with Bees because of them.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11361.jpg?width=350

01/09/2012 at 22:46

Maud   go to BBC I player  to watch it  .nice to see role reversal with Monty and Carol monty was collecting seed's and sewing and storing them ,thats usualy Carols job

as for the Dahlis well  at first I thought the colour had gone mad on my TV.  what a riot of colour  lovely but...  wonder what his garden looks like in spring and early summer before they all flower??

02/09/2012 at 08:40

Behave yourselves, Chris9 & break23.....what are you like? Still, you make me smile........are your middle names "devil's advocate" eh?

Try to pick on Beechwood Gardens....they are so straight laced. Besides, there is something to be said for a self efacing guy who has a conversation with a dog!! Enjoy.

02/09/2012 at 08:55

@mollycatshirley.. i was also wondering that aobut his garden.. is it empty for rest of the year.. very boring is so.. i would much rather have colour all year..

i am totally unable to leave a bare space in my garden empty for long so i just couldnt cope with leaving it all bare to plant dahlias once a year..

02/09/2012 at 10:04

Hi everyone. I found the colour in the dahlia garden just too much for me. I like to see variation in planting, but everyone to their own. I admire his skill and dedication, there's no doubt that, but after visiting my sister-in-laws garden which is mainly shades of green with little touches of white and blue/purple, I know where I would rather spend my time. As for the rest of the programme, enjoyable, went too quickly. 1 hour programme needed please BBC.

02/09/2012 at 13:00

Unfortunately Beechgrov starts later and ends sooner than GW.  Someone at Beeb Scotland obvioulsy thinks gardens have a shorter season.

I didn't like dahlia chappy's garden.  I find any monoculture is boring even with all that colour variation.  Couldn't be doing with all that staking and dead heading and the autumn lifting and especially couldn't be doing with having nothing to look at the rest of the year.  I like a bit of winter structure and interest and something different to see all through the changing seasons.

02/09/2012 at 23:03

Gracie, what a fabulous photo. 

Jatnikapyer, behave never I'm glad that me had Break 23 put a smile on your face, that's what was intended.  All the gardens are fabulous and I wish I had green fingers like everyone has on this site, I love looking at all the photos.  Well never too old to learn.

regards Chris

04/09/2012 at 00:29
I've set the recorder for beechgrove garden this thrs, even tho I'm in Cornwall . It sounds like I will enjoy it. Hope nobody tells me off for straying off the subject ,!!
04/09/2012 at 09:16

Unfortunately this week's Beechgrove is a community gardening special so not the best episode to start with but there is a lot of useful info given over the season.

04/09/2012 at 09:21

Hi Chris2

You can always catch up on BBC Iplayer over the internet.

regards Chris

1 to 20 of 23 messages