Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Late perennials for the white garden

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

I'm making a white garden (parterres with all white flowers, like Sissinghurst) which is fun, but I'm struggling with good late season bloomers to continue the display into October. Cosmos as Dahlias are still doing their thing, but most white hardy perennials seem to have gone over by now. Has anyone got any white perennials still in flower in their gardens?

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 

• Japanese Anemone are still in flower at this time of year Honorine Jobert its called.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

There's bound to be white asters for this time of year. I don't grow them but there's a huge range of those. I have Anemone 'Whirlwind' which is a semi double and a bit shorter than H. Jobert. Flowering it's socks off just now  image

A little bit of variegated foliage is good too Will. I have Euonymous Blondie (green/cream)  which is great in my white border.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Some of my white pentemmon are still going - if you keep on top of the deadheading earlier in the season.  Similarly for repeat flowering roses (winchester cathedral is looking good now).  But agree the japanese anemone Honorine Joubert is hogging the limelight at the moment.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..you might like the white version of Nerine bowdenii, which we usually see in pink.  Mine are just coming into flower right now, they make good clumps for frontal positions and I find the white to be a little more sparkling actually..

The white ones are lovely Salino but I've never grown them as I'd have to pot them and keep them protected over winter here. I'm tempted for next year though  image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

White physostegia, white chelone, white clematis flammula (scented), white agapanthus (needs winter protection), white flowered hostas, white Michaelmas daisies, white phlox, white roses, white shrubby potentilla, still some flowers left on lysimachia clethroides alba..

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609
    Fairygirl wrote (see)

The white ones are lovely Salino but I've never grown them as I'd have to pot them and keep them protected over winter here. I'm tempted for next year though  image

..yeah... hot sun, drainage for winter, and stony soil I find is necessary for mine....perhaps a bit challenging for damp gardens....image.. but I'm going to get a whole lot more....

I'd do them in pots if I got them  - too risky in the ground here, although my new raised beds are well drained...imageimage