Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lavatera

discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Hi all, 

I am looking to plant some Lavatera or tree mallow, but when im looking online I can only see annual seed or dwarf bushes. 

Does anyone know where I could find either a small plant or some seeds of the perennial types

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I think Dave what you are looking for is Hibiscus which is a tender perennial with larger more exotic flowers than the tree mallow-all from the same family

So can go outside but is not frost hardy-does need warmth to flower

Plants should be readily available around March/ April onwardsimage

• Thanks Geoff, but its definitely not Hibiscus around me there are lavatera by the bucket load in peoples gardens, some have been there for several years now and are quite big now. I might have to bite the bullet and ask if I can take a cutting from one if I cant find a young plant or seed. I did get some seeds from a tree in Portugal last year but can't remember where I put them. 

• hang on, I just saw a post on google that says Hibiscus rose of sharon, which is what I saw, lavatera rose of sharon. The hibiscus flower looks quite different to the ones near me. It is around 8ft tall and looks like this

• and this: Lavatera brendon springs

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

This of those daft things were one plant  is called by different names-your pictures I would call lavatera  or tree mallow not hibiscus-confusion  reignsimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Probably Lavatera arborea or one of the hybrids/cultivars like 'Barnsley'

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=3376

Seems to have got enough synonyms to confuse anyone

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tell me about it, it seems to have lots of names and types, I just want to make sure I end up with the right one which is proving to be a problem.

this one looks right but then its a dwarf 90cm

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/flower-plants/cottage-garden-plants/lavatera-barnsley-baby/61329VM 

Dave, they're easy from cuttings, (even for me). If you've seen one you like go and ask for a piece. Check to see what it looks like in winter, mine was a sorry drab mess, I got rid of it

L. arborea will come from seed but all those larger flowered, different colours, hybrids/cultivars won't be as the parent

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I have both Hibiscus and perennial Lavatera. They are quite different plants.

The shrubby perennial Lavateras I have is Lavatera Olbia. More details:

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Lavatera/shrubby.html

T&M used to offer this as seed. I grew mine from their seed many years ago, and still have the plants.

The plant went out of fashion, and is not listed in their current seed catalogue. But I would have thought that other seed suppliers would have that, or more modern and improved varieties.

Even more to choose from. Definitely get a cutting from one you like the look of. Only way to be sure.