London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
5 messages
20/10/2013 at 09:48

Morning All,

I bought some plugs months back and potted them into 3 inch pots and then forgot about them, i was intending the plant them next year but having just been reminded of them i went to check and they are all in need of potting on.

Just before i start to pot them on, i am right in assuming its too late to plant them straight out in final position?

Andy

20/10/2013 at 09:50
I would keep them in pots for the winter and then plant out in spring. Hidcote is pretty hardy for me, but might be better to mollycoddle them for their first winter
20/10/2013 at 09:51

Thanks, thought as much.

20/10/2013 at 11:27

As long as they're planted in a sunny, well drained position, lavender Hidcote is tough as old boots.   I have some planted as a low hedge in soil held up by a sleeper retaining wall so excellent drainage and they all cope regularly with winters down to -20C and worse.   I do leave the old flowers stems on till spring as this protects the crown from the worst winters but they and lavender Edelweiss are doing fine and making babies that germinate and grow in the gravel at the base of the wall and also survive our winters.

20/10/2013 at 11:57

That's good to know obelixx, Hidcote is the one I've grown from seed this year.

email image
5 messages