Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lavender dying

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

I bought these plants about 2 weeks ago,they were both healthy and growing well.Now one of them has started dying in the middle,having treated them both the same I dont understand what could be going wrong,any suggestions?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Possibly too wet? Lavender likes a lot of drainage, usually 50% grit added to the soil mixture before planting.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Agreed. Young lavender needs water to get established, particularly in hot weather, but the roots can't be allowed to remain wet. Not only very well-drained mix but a container with plenty of drainage holes.

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Thanks,realised you are right I had the trough on top of a slanted wall thus one plant was lower than the other so the water drained to one end.Once again learnt by my mistakes.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

looks like its too wet in peat.Lavender likes things rather dry and also of late not too cold a climate.IT should be planted in good drained soil and although you need to water it until it is established it does not like wet roots.