London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
7 messages
22/05/2012 at 14:39

As a newbie, I am a classic windowsill gardner, much earlier this year I started some lavender seeds on my windowsill. It took a number of casualties, but I now have 10 healthy young 3-4 cm high seedlings (an inch and a half in old money).  Today I took them out of the house for the first time, to sit in the sun, still within their old fishtank propogator.  To get to this point, took much longer than the 6-8 weeks suggested on the seed packet, I guess I am now at 12 weeks.  What are my next steps with my lavenders?  I appreciate they may not flower this year, but at what point do I think to plant out?  I am in the Netherlands, and we have been without frost for about 4 weeks.

Lesley

22/05/2012 at 16:58

I would plant them into individual pots first - say 3" pots - and wait until they have filled them with roots before planting them out. In the meantime, do take them outside whenever the weather allows - it will really speed up their growth.

22/05/2012 at 17:32

Do you know the variety? I have grown lavender multifida, which does flower in the first year but is not in the least bit hardy.

24/05/2012 at 09:46

it is the basic angustifolia, I repotted them yesterday and they are all enjoying this newly found sun.

24/05/2012 at 10:30

lesinnl I would love to grow lavender from seed, can you save it from current plants? I heard it was difficult can you share any advise?

24/05/2012 at 11:23

Last autumn when I trimmed my lavender plant, all the little snippets,( some only 1 inch long), I stuck into a pot of grit /mcp mix and covered with a lemonade bottle. They stayed in a cold greenhouse all winter and now I see I have 8 little plants , some now 5 inch high with good roots coming through the holes at the bottom. I'm amazed they took so easily. Will do the same next year to increase stock. Will pot them on now the warmer weather is here. Would recommend anyone to have a go this way. Could easily do on a windowsill if no greenhouse available.

24/05/2012 at 11:32

Hello joslow,

You should collect the seed from the seedheads when they're dry. Often the tiny black seeds just fall out in profusion. However, the slightly difficult bit is cold stratification. Cold stratification can be done by putting the seeds in the fridge for a few weeks before sowing them in a cold greenhouse in spring. Depending on the parentage of the seedlings, you could get some interesting new colours and forms as a result of growing them from collected seed.

Good luck,

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

email image
7 messages