London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
4 messages
27/04/2012 at 15:33

I'd like to edge a raised bed with lavender.  Can anyone recommend a compact/dwarf hardy variety.   And.... as it's a raised bed do I need to put grit at the base of each planting?

I look foward to your advice

Many thanks

27/04/2012 at 16:18

The variety you are most likely to find in a garden centre is Munstead, a dwarf form. My own favourite is Imperial Gem, similar size, but IMHO a more eye catching deep purple colour. I first saw a field of it at Norfolk Lavender, and it looked wonderful.  We bought 10 of them, and have propagated a lot more from it.

Yes I would make sure that the soil is well drained. It wil also help that the bed is raised. Lavenders that  die in hard winters do so more because their roots have been stood in frozen water than because of damage to the stems. 

29/04/2012 at 12:04

Gold1locks - thank you.  I shall take a look at Imperial Gem - ideal height would be 12".  You've responded to another post about lavender so I think all my questions have been covered.   The advice given for spacing of plants indicates I shall need many more plants than originally planned - spaced at 12" apart?

Thanks again

29/04/2012 at 12:59

My Imperial Gems are 12" apart, in runs either side of the path leading to the front door. When in flower they are around 16" - 18" tall, but that includes about 8" of flower spike. The flowers do splay out a bit, which I think is lovely when you brush past them, as you get that extra whiff of fragrance. 

email image
4 messages