London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
7 messages
06/04/2014 at 11:39

I have a shaded area outside the kitchen which is empty at present .

I love lavender and want to put a couple of plants there ,could you please advise me of the correct lavender plant that would be okay there .

Regards

Mrs marlene Sawyer 

06/04/2014 at 11:43

Hello marlene, welcome; Does this area get any sun at all?

06/04/2014 at 12:39

Lavender thrives in Sunny conditions. How much sunlight do you get on this area?

06/04/2014 at 14:15

Full sun is best for lavenders.  If you want blue, try salvias instead.

06/04/2014 at 14:47

Marlene, lavendars won't like it there.  

If your soil is acidic a blue hydrangea could look good there.  

Always best to grow plants that like their situation...they are then healthy and thriving and little trouble.

06/04/2014 at 17:33

If you can afford to loose a few plants you can always try growing it in the shady area and see how it does.  I have a border that is in permanent shade and grow some sun loving plants in it.  Many of them work well as foliage plants but don't always flower that well.  An option is to plant them in pots in a sunnier spot and just move them to the area outside the kitchen when in full flower.  I've managed to fill the shady border by trial and error. 

06/04/2014 at 17:42

I have 3 lavenders in pots all in full sun and they love it.  I have grown one in a pot next to my back door which got sun in the morning then shade for the rest of the day.  It thrived.  I like Hidcote for its blue and the smell is lovely.

email image
7 messages