Start a new thread
The Doctor

Now what do i do, do i plant them in pots first or into the ground?

Dan x

FloBear

I have successfully kept lavender cuttings and small plants in pots for many months until their final home was decided. As long as I remember to water them ...   ;- )

You planning hedging or edging or going into the perfume business?

The Doctor

Well there is a overgrown rocky part of the garden that will be cleared in the winter months when its all died back. Until then i shall grow them in pots.

sotongeoff

Dan-pot them up- grow on through the winter- plant out in the spring when they are big enough.

Advertisement

The Doctor

Do they need to go in gritty soil, if so how do i make it?

sotongeoff

I just use ordinary potting compost and never had a problem-or are you asking about their final home?

Keep in pots til spring, maybe pot on if you think so. Plant out in warm soil in spring
frensclan

Mine arrived today and I have potted them on with regular compost. I used cardboard toilet roll inners cut in half and set in a seed tray. Filled them with the compost and popped a little plug into each on. just the right size for now, watered and in the cold frame till they need potting on again.

The Doctor

I've been thinking and researching about building a cold frame, it's on my list of things to do anfter to 25,000 other things i want to do with the garden 

hollie hock

My lavender plantlets arrived at the end of May. I have been growing them on, I'll be planting them out next Spring

frensclan wrote (see)

Mine arrived today and I have potted them on with regular compost. I used cardboard toilet roll inners cut in half and set in a seed tray. Filled them with the compost and popped a little plug into each on. just the right size for now, watered and in the cold frame till they need potting on again.

are these the free ones from thompson and morgan?

im waiting for loads of plants from them

happymarion

There were so many postage only lavender plant plug freebies this year I now have enough (over a hundred) for my planned lavender hedge.  The tiny plugs all grew rapidly and are now bushy lttle plants in 3inch pots.  They will go into the cold frame for the winter and I shall make my hedge in the spring.  Walking through my potager next year should be a very fragrant experience and I am hoping the bees will love it.

Advertisement

donutsmrs

My Lavender freebies are really growing well, growing into nice bushy plants. Like you happymarion I will be over wintering them and plant them out next spring, that should get the bee's buzzing next year.