Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lavender

The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

Now what do i do, do i plant them in pots first or into the ground?

Dan x

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I have successfully kept lavender cuttings and small plants in pots for many months until their final home was decided. As long as I remember to water them ...   ;- )

You planning hedging or edging or going into the perfume business?

• The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

Well there is a overgrown rocky part of the garden that will be cleared in the winter months when its all died back. Until then i shall grow them in pots.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Dan-pot them up- grow on through the winter- plant out in the spring when they are big enough.

Do they need to go in gritty soil, if so how do i make it?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I just use ordinary potting compost and never had a problem-or are you asking about their final home?

Willco Geoff

Just till spring

• frensclanfrensclan Posts: 119

Mine arrived today and I have potted them on with regular compost. I used cardboard toilet roll inners cut in half and set in a seed tray. Filled them with the compost and popped a little plug into each on. just the right size for now, watered and in the cold frame till they need potting on again.

I've been thinking and researching about building a cold frame, it's on my list of things to do anfter to 25,000 other things i want to do with the garden image