London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
6 messages
12/03/2014 at 09:56

Folks are telling me that they are starting to mow their lawn, though Dad never touched ours before April in the past.  We have had hard frosts overnight this week every night since Saturday and I wonder if it isn't too early to start.  The ground is still rather wet too yet

I am in Fife

Thanks

Edd
12/03/2014 at 09:59

If it is still wet then it is better to keep off it until the ground dries out.

12/03/2014 at 10:04

Cutting a lawn now, especially if on wet ground, risks tearing, instead of a clean cut.

This can leave lawns patchy. I won't cut mine for another few weeks yet, so I'd leave it for now.

12/03/2014 at 21:27

Due to climate change.  The grass cutting calender has changed, especially in parks and gardens.  Now quite often you can see the tractors out cutting in December and January.  In your case.  Stick to your Dad's practice.  The gardens are still pretty wet, and as our friend says.  Cutting now could tear out the grass.  When you do decide to cut.  Have the mower set on high.  It might not look as though you have just cut, but this is best.  Plus the weight of the mower will have pressed the tiny grass plants back into the soil.  Following cuts, gradually lower the blade.  In some cases the fourth cut will be down as low as you need to go.

12/03/2014 at 22:00

Thanks folks

12/03/2014 at 22:23

My lawn is still to wet and I think that applies to a lot of people at present. I have been able to edge my lawn as that area is dried out . I live in the west midlands and the weather for the last 4 days has been dry and sunny so my lawn is get aired quite well.

I expect the first cut in the next 2 weeks

email image
6 messages