London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
5 messages
16/09/2013 at 17:47

I was looking for a way to improve drainage in my pot plants on my balcony, and tried to source some sand to put in them. The only one I could find was "lawn sand", which seemed innoccous to me, so I repotted my herbs and combined compost with the sand. Now I read the packet properly and see that it contains pesticides! This could be why my sage plant went black and my chives wilted a lot after repotting...

I've repotted these again, washed off all the sand, and put some good soil in and some fertiliser... but the question is, can I ever eat these herbs now? That is, if any of them survive.

AL

16/09/2013 at 17:58

Lawn sand is not sand.  It contains caustic materials to burn moss for example in lawns.  

Just water well again and leave them be for a while.  Always read the details on anything you buy or use.  ESP,garden products.  Don't go by what seems "innocuous"!

16/09/2013 at 18:57

I have successfully used aquarium sand, can be bought at large DIY stores with an aquarium section. Also, if you have neighbours with a childrens sand pit, ask for some of that and wash it thoroughly.

16/09/2013 at 19:36

Alex

Use perlite in your pots to improve drainage.  Totally inert and safe.

17/09/2013 at 10:11

Thanks, I guess I will leave them a couple of months and hopefully they will be ok to eat then... hope I don't get sick off them!

email image
5 messages