London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
4 messages
19/09/2013 at 12:52

Hi All,

I received my order from the GC yesterday...I want to layer the bulbs in plant pots so that in Spring I get a beautiful flourish of colour packed into each small(ish) plant pot.

It says on the box to plant out the bulbs as soon as possible after delivery. When should I be planting these in pots?....

thanks!!!

19/09/2013 at 13:00

Daffs and Crocus can be planted now but hold off with the Tulips until November

19/09/2013 at 15:40

You need to keep them somewhere cool until ready to plant.

I planted several pots in layers last year in November, to give as presents, using bulbs from the end of season clearance in the garden centre (amazing value).  Whilst they didn't all flower at the same time, the pots were a mass of colour for several months.  I used city of Harlem hyacinths, jetfire daffodills, chinodoxa and some white crocus, but you can be imaginative when choosing what's left in the GC - just maker sure the bulbs feel plump and solid, and not dry and flaky.

19/09/2013 at 19:02

Hi Pokhim

As everyone says, ideally you should plant the daffies now but leave the tulips til later in the year (because they are prone to disease if planted too early).  Your problem, of course, is that if you are layering them you'll probably want to put the tulips at the bottom!  I did this last year;  I planted in late October, which felt like a reasonable compromise, and everything was absolutely fantastic.  I'd say hold off planting til then as long as you have a nice, dark, cool and DRY place to store your bulbs.  If you don't have that, then get them in the soil now, they will be better off there!

Hope that helps

Rosie

email image
4 messages