London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
8 messages
31/01/2014 at 19:57

I have a lovely Wisteria I planted about eight years ago when it was just a 3ft bare stick. It has been grafted onto a different rootstock and has flowered well right from the start. It now completely covers our pergola and I'm wondering if I layer it, will the new plant flower so easily and early if it's not grafted? I have heard of people waiting over ten years for flowers.

31/01/2014 at 20:28

I have a grafted Wisteria macrobotrys on the garage wall, (see camera thread) and I layered a shoot off it, moved  the layer to the pergola, and it flowered two years later.

I think the ten year thing is for seedlings. if yours is a proven flowerer, go for it.  Given the price of good sized wisterias, its got to be worth a go.

31/01/2014 at 22:34

Thanks fidgetbones, I'll definitely have a go

02/02/2014 at 23:42

Mike has to admit.  IT/Computers...........not my forte'

However on the subject of Wisteria.  If you can get this to work, I'm sure you will enjoy.  I rec'd this as an email.  I will gladly fwd it if someone cares to trust me with their email address.  In the meantime, please try and Google or whatever this, and hopefully YOU will be able to post it.

Jardin Kawachi Fuji1 Wisteria.

02/02/2014 at 23:46

I've never tried it,but I've read it must be " flowered wood" to have any chance of success. Do some research and have a go if you think you meet the  criteria.

03/02/2014 at 00:24

Mike wow, thanks, how beautiful, it's just a tad  more impressive than my back garden pergola! I'm a bit of a technophobe but if this link doesn't work you might be able to copy and paste it. 

http://hautefinds.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/wisteria-tunnel.html

Thanks Hostafan1, I'll make sure the branches (do you call them that? they seem too thin) I use have flowered well. Changing the subject what kind of spread does a mini Hosta have, I've got a very small shady spot where I'd like to cram in as many gorgeously coloured Hostas and Heucheras as possible, can you recommend any?

03/02/2014 at 22:02

Ashleigh2.  So glad you liked the slide show.  Lets hhope other members take a look.

Back to layering Wisteria etc.  In fact there are several ways in which new plants can be obtained.  As with other subjects.   'Arial layering' can be used.  Also what is known as. Apical-wedge, grafting.  Sometimes it gets a bit heavy going typing away.  I am always only too pleased to share my knowledge etc.  Please email at any time.  I will scan any published references that I have.

04/02/2014 at 09:27

Thanks Mike, I think I will try air layering and in the ground, I think apical wedge grafting is a bit beyond me, I wouldn't have a clue what rootstock to use. I was tidying up a Clematis yesterday and it seems to have layered itself! So nice when plants cooperate. 

email image
8 messages