London (change)
Today 25°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
6 messages
31/01/2014 at 19:57

I have a lovely Wisteria I planted about eight years ago when it was just a 3ft bare stick. It has been grafted onto a different rootstock and has flowered well right from the start. It now completely covers our pergola and I'm wondering if I layer it, will the new plant flower so easily and early if it's not grafted? I have heard of people waiting over ten years for flowers.

31/01/2014 at 20:28

I have a grafted Wisteria macrobotrys on the garage wall, (see camera thread) and I layered a shoot off it, moved  the layer to the pergola, and it flowered two years later.

I think the ten year thing is for seedlings. if yours is a proven flowerer, go for it.  Given the price of good sized wisterias, its got to be worth a go.

31/01/2014 at 22:34

Thanks fidgetbones, I'll definitely have a go

02/02/2014 at 23:46

I've never tried it,but I've read it must be " flowered wood" to have any chance of success. Do some research and have a go if you think you meet the  criteria.

03/02/2014 at 00:24

Mike wow, thanks, how beautiful, it's just a tad  more impressive than my back garden pergola! I'm a bit of a technophobe but if this link doesn't work you might be able to copy and paste it. 

http://hautefinds.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/wisteria-tunnel.html

Thanks Hostafan1, I'll make sure the branches (do you call them that? they seem too thin) I use have flowered well. Changing the subject what kind of spread does a mini Hosta have, I've got a very small shady spot where I'd like to cram in as many gorgeously coloured Hostas and Heucheras as possible, can you recommend any?

04/02/2014 at 09:27

Thanks Mike, I think I will try air layering and in the ground, I think apical wedge grafting is a bit beyond me, I wouldn't have a clue what rootstock to use. I was tidying up a Clematis yesterday and it seems to have layered itself! So nice when plants cooperate. 

email image
6 messages