London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
16/09/2012 at 14:35

I love fuchsias and am always trying new varieties. I have about eighteen different ones at the moment and they have produced (and are still producing) an excellent display. Except one! Practically all the stems are reduced to two leaves at the end, where there are a few flowers. On examining one remaining leaf I see the reverse side is covered in a bright yellow sort of dust. Is this rust? Possibly on the plant when I bought it? I thought fuchsia rust would have orange spots not yellow dust.....

17/09/2012 at 10:17

It certainly sounds like it's Fuchsia Rust. But a photo would make things a lot clearer for us. You can always check if the RHS has some information on it's website or Google for pictures.  

17/09/2012 at 11:02

Have a look here - it might be wise to get rid of other plants which act as hosts.

18/09/2012 at 21:16

I've taken a close-up photo and will post it as soon as I can get it to work!

19/09/2012 at 17:02

This is the photo of the troubled fuchsia. What you see is the underside of the leaf. The RHS definition of rust is "orange pustules", Alina - but this seems more like bright yellow dust. I can see a little brown insect on the leaf too - but he might just be passing by!.....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11843.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

20/09/2012 at 13:42

Judging from the photo this is Fuchsia Rust. If you Google for Pucciniastrum epilobii and go to the pictures - please, do scroll down a bit -  you'll find that this yellow dust is the first stage of the infection. It also appears on the underside of leaves. Maybe the small Fir in it's presence has been the host?      

21/09/2012 at 16:51

Thank you Flowerchild. I found the website very interesting.....The groundcover you can see is an erica carnea .I don't think this poses a problem, do you? I think I'll cut the fuchsia right back, burn all the leaves on the ground  and hope for better next year! Thanks again for your interest and help.

22/09/2012 at 08:09

No Berkley, I agree with you. That Erica carnea won't be a problem. Next year will be better hopefully. 

email image
8 messages