Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lemon Verbena

Went plant shopping at Bridgemere Garden World today and husband decided we needed a Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla).  Also bought the lavender I wanted to make hedging along the front and 2 sented pelagoniums.

I am looking for any ideas for best conditions for Lemon verbena as I have never grown it before.  Live in Cheshire so not the warmest of climates.  So is it inside, or outside in pot, or in ground or ...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd have it in a pot and protect it in winter. I had it in the ground right up against our south facing house and it did survive one winter but was very late appearing the following season. Didn't appear the following year.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you.

Was starting to think about pots I already have and which might be suitable.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Mine survives each winter in the herb garden - but then I'm in the South West and we have particular micro-climate here in Porlock Vale.  That means I can keep things outdoors that would otherwise perish  (I have an indoor plant - succulent, known as the Money Plant - Crassula Ovata - that ought not to be kept outdoors, for example.  A random pot got left outside - and is doing rather well against all odds).

Lemon Verbena is not that hardy, and the suggestion for its being planted in a pot is a very good idea.  I suspect that in Cheshire it will need a bit more protection than I need for my plants!

• Thanks.

Definately going for pot now.  If I've not got one suitable then ...... another shopping trip  ... ooooh - what else can be bought?

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Pineapple sage is more tender than the lemon verbena, the latter stays out all year but when I forgot the salvia it just died in the winter. Since then I have overwintered its replacement in a cool greenhouse and it has been fine - so far. 

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Indeed, yummy - oh for a few scorching hot days for them and us to enjoy!

• Shall look out for either when shooping next. Love sented plants.  Cant wait to get some dry weather to plant the lavender