London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
12 messages
27/05/2013 at 21:43

Went plant shopping at Bridgemere Garden World today and husband decided we needed a Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla).  Also bought the lavender I wanted to make hedging along the front and 2 sented pelagoniums.

I am looking for any ideas for best conditions for Lemon verbena as I have never grown it before.  Live in Cheshire so not the warmest of climates.  So is it inside, or outside in pot, or in ground or ...

27/05/2013 at 21:58

I'd have it in a pot and protect it in winter. I had it in the ground right up against our south facing house and it did survive one winter but was very late appearing the following season. Didn't appear the following year.

27/05/2013 at 22:04

Thank you.

Was starting to think about pots I already have and which might be suitable.

27/05/2013 at 22:13

Mine survives each winter in the herb garden - but then I'm in the South West and we have particular micro-climate here in Porlock Vale.  That means I can keep things outdoors that would otherwise perish  (I have an indoor plant - succulent, known as the Money Plant - Crassula Ovata - that ought not to be kept outdoors, for example.  A random pot got left outside - and is doing rather well against all odds).

Lemon Verbena is not that hardy, and the suggestion for its being planted in a pot is a very good idea.  I suspect that in Cheshire it will need a bit more protection than I need for my plants!

27/05/2013 at 22:21

Thanks.

Definately going for pot now.  If I've not got one suitable then ...... another shopping trip  ... ooooh - what else can be bought?

27/05/2013 at 23:51

Lemon verbena is hardy here.  However, I keep it in a pot.  Prune it like a fuschia...hard back....and leave it by side door

Good similar plant is the pineapple sage...salvia elegans.  Rich pineapple scented foliage and scarlet flowers....so Victoriajane this is your second purchase?  

Both good in pots. Both like it hot and dry

28/05/2013 at 10:58

Pineapple sage is more tender than the lemon verbena, the latter stays out all year but when I forgot the salvia it just died in the winter. Since then I have overwintered its replacement in a cool greenhouse and it has been fine - so far. 

28/05/2013 at 18:37

Well said bookertoo.  Hardy here but pineapple.....and tangerine ....sage  needs protection in most places.  But what a scent when brushed against

28/05/2013 at 19:46

Indeed, yummy - oh for a few scorching hot days for them and us to enjoy!

28/05/2013 at 23:09

Shall look out for either when shooping next. Love sented plants.  Cant wait to get some dry weather to plant the lavender

29/05/2013 at 08:52

Just a thought victoriajane

Grow a few heliotrope in pots where you walk or sit.  The "cherry pie" plant has wonderful cherry vanilla scent that fills the air from mid summer onwards.  You will find the annual heliotrope Marine easily enough but I grow the perennial version....Chatsworth...which has even better scent on a shrubby bush

The more sunshine the stronger the scent from these plants

29/05/2013 at 13:23

Thanks Verdun - it seems my next shopping spree is getting more and more expensive..

email image
12 messages