9 messages
22/08/2012 at 09:33

Does anyone have any experience of this plant, should it be treated as an annual? I am about to dig up one from last year which has performed bady this year, and another has died.  They look so beautiful in the garden centre in their pots, should I leave them there?

22/08/2012 at 10:09

Hi Gracie5.

They are a hardy perennial, a Shasta daisy, that should be planted in the border, in sun or half  shade.

I have one in my garden and it has been in flower all summer, just starting to go over now so am dead heading to encourage more buds if I'm lucky.

They are usually as tough as old boots,so I would leave it where it is and feed in the spring, and hopefully it should grow alright next year.

22/08/2012 at 11:26

As I have already lost one, I have dug up the other one and found it to have a good root stock with off-shoots appearing but the top growth looking like a dying plant. It is now in a large pot and given a good feed. Perhaps they don't like being in London clay so it is a case of kill or cure!!

22/08/2012 at 14:34

I have a Shasta Daisy and it is tough as old boots and loves my clay soil. They do not like drying out and I have struggled with them in pots.

22/08/2012 at 15:27

We lost Broadway Lights too, the other Shasta daisies thrive here, but not that one.

22/08/2012 at 15:29

Hmm, might have to have a rethink, it possibly was in a dry situation in the border. I will wait until Autumn to transplant it back into the border in a place where it won't dry out as quick. Thanks both for your answers, at least now I know it's a tough plant!!

22/08/2012 at 15:32

Berghill, we posted at the same time. Now I am looking forward to seeing just how tough it is here

05/05/2014 at 13:46

Broadway lights is flourishing in the garden...second year.  A delightful plant.  howevever I dug a couple up last autumn to pot up and keep in GH.  I wanted to pla t them elsewhere.  Both of these died.  They do not seem to like being moved or potted up.  Anyone have similar experiences with this ?  

05/05/2014 at 18:54

Mine has been in the same place since 2012, lovely healthy growth on it at the moment about 4 inches high.

Only had one flush of flowers on it last year though, whats the best way to dead-head it?

email image
9 messages