Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lifting Lily bulbs

mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105

Am I able to lift my lillies and transplant them at this time of year (September)?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Wait until the leaves die back completely, this is usually around November time.

They need to photosynthesise to store energy in the bulb for next years growth.

• mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105

Cheers Matt.  

Matt

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I find lillies to be hardy. If you really must lift them now, you can lift them in the green and repot with the stems still attached.

I grow alot of lillies in terracotta pots and often want to use the pots for the next show of flowers. So will be repotting some this weekend to have enough pots for spring bulbs. The lillies will go in plastic pots and be put somewhere out of sight to allow the leaves to die back.

Mine flower year after year despite being lifted in the green and repotted.

• I have a lilly that i have in a big pot witch is huge and i have all ready lifted image haw can i stor it.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Chris. I keep mine outside all winter till spring. To protect them from the worst of the weather, they're kept in a sheltered spot. Last year some were brought into the GH early spring and potted up in fresh compost, the idea was to force them for an earlier show of  flowers. It seemed to work, I had a longer show of flowers and was also able to discard those which didn't grow as well.

Alternatively, if you leave them in their pots, after a couple of years the bulbs start to multiply, bulk out and you get lots of tiny bulblets being pushed up to the surface.      

• I have just checked and my lillies are root bound in the terracotta pots they are in.  what should I do - split the bulbs and re-pot straight away ready for next year of put the bulbs in the garage and plant up next Spring.  Also what to do with all the tiny bulblets?

Advice gratefully received.

• Hi Chris - thanks for responding

I had 5 bulbs each in 25 cm diameter terracotta pots........