Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Like a forget me not??

CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 617

Hello everyone I have a few plants that the flowers are almost the same as a forget me not but it is  taller (around 14-16") and stronger with quite a sturdy long tap root.   I have tried to get rid of them in previous years but my brother in law says they are a relative of the forget me not...The leaves are quite long and triangular too.  If i get a chance to put a photo on I will but in the meantime can anyone suggest an ID that I can perhaps look up.  Many thanks. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

If this is it then it's alkanet. Very invasive and persistant!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Brunnera?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Could be FG. Hard to know without a pic.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

alkanet has the tap root, Brunnera a mass of wiry roots.

we await a pic

In the sticks near Peterborough

That's what I wasn't sure about nut. I don't grow brunnera as don't like the flowers although I like the foliage.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think I have both to excessimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 617

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Yes you're definitely right Plant Pauper - I have just looked up Alkanet and it is definitely that!  I have tended to get rid of it by pulling it out in previous years but thought i might give it a chance this year.  Think I'll be pulling it up again!  I definitely have more of them this year.  With that blooming long tap root though I think I will have to just weed it out every year.  Sometimes I have wondered in the past if it going to be a foxglove when it is tiny but reading somewhere else this morning it says you can easily identify then as they are hairy from the off unlike the foxglove.  Again many thanks for your help everyone.  Have a good gardening day image

Good stuff copperdog. I've never heard tell of it until it started popping up on here and people were giving out dire warnings. Good luck getting rid!