London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
9 messages
12/10/2013 at 21:04

Will now be looking to buy more lilies and cannas soon.  Still have several large clumps of cannas in full flower and they have loved this summer ESP.  want more.

The regal lily still remains a favourite of mine, purely for its scent, but I want to get a greater variety in the garden next year

The agapanthus too is tempting me. ,we have fields of these in summer in Cornwall .......to expand my range.  

What summer bulbs/tubers/corms are on your shopping list?  We will get another roasting summer in 2014 so what better to add extra zing than more of these beauties?

12/10/2013 at 21:13

I want some more varities of Oriental Lily, that smell is so intoxicating, I just love it!

Definitely need to add some Dahlias to my garden also, guess I'll have to start looking at some varities to choose (will have to be a smaller one though)

and an old fashioned favourite, Gladioli. Regretted not growing those this year, such beautiful flowers when other stuff is starting to fade

12/10/2013 at 22:10

It's been a while since I grew lilies, but this year I grew a pot of Rio Negro - a wonderful deep black/red with an even deeper star in the centre - I would really recommend it, fantastic colour - and at least for me the Lily beetles seemed to ignore it.

I also grew a pot of Muscadet - a sort of stockier version of Stargazer - same wonderful perfume which it casts on the air just like Stargazer - ours was out on the terrace but I could smell it in here in the sitting room in the evenings if the dining room door was open.  Lovely - but the lily beetles did like this one. 

12/10/2013 at 22:25

Ive seen the Rio Negro Lily, such a beautiful colour, might have to grow those along side my Cosmos Atrosanguineus

12/10/2013 at 22:31

Oh wait I was thinking of something else :P

I have those lilies in my garden already but I think I bought them as one called 'Love Story'

12/10/2013 at 23:13

I have a new Dahlia tuber... Trelissick Purple... grows very tall in tropical Cornwall... but will it do as well in Hampshire.

Hey Verd. when you encourage us poor mortals to grow stuff you should put out a health warning about where you live and the lovely climate!!! 

12/10/2013 at 23:54

I've  ordered more yellow tree lilies. I might underplant with aquilegias.

13/10/2013 at 09:08

Woody 

13/10/2013 at 11:19

to you too.

email image
9 messages