Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lillies

bazabaza Posts: 670

Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell how long it takes Lillies to start showing stems its just that ive put mine in big pots with biggish stones at the bottom for drainage .We have them in since 1st march in the greenhouse but nothing is happening.

Thanks

Baz

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

how deep did you plant them? The like to be planted deep as they send out feeder roots from the stems as they grow.

Devon.
  • Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Mine were planted in January in pots,they are  just beginning to show

• bazabaza Posts: 670
    Think I'll have to be a bit more patient . Trouble is with everything else growing fast in the greenhouse I thought they might of shown a bit of growth by now so I'll wait and see..

Thanks

baz
    Thanks for that tip runnybeak we have been watering 3 times a week is that too much
  • I keep mine outside baza and rarely have to water them in springtime unless we get a long spell of dry weather or unless it has been particularly windy. The top of the soil will often dry out a bit but if you stick your finger into the soil, it should be damp underneath and that's usually fine. Where abouts are you, are you trying to bring them on early hence having them in the GH?

Hia ladygardener

I've got them in the GH because I live in the northeast of England so it is still very cold at night at the moment do you think this will make a difference??

or is it safe to bring them outside

thanks

baz
  • Baz I live in Northern Ireland and have never kept mine in the GH. Since yours have'nt yet started to show and unless you want to try to get them perhaps a week or two early then yes, I'd definately put them outside but I always make sure that I either sit them onto the gravel or put something underneath them to lift them up a bit so they are'nt sitting in water. Good luck. I've had some of mine for years.

• Shaz7Shaz7 Posts: 1

I agree with ladygardener2, they should be perfectly fine outside baza. Ours are kept outside in the far north of Scotland and dont suffer at all.

• ShamrockShamrock Posts: 44
    Hi everyone. This is my first post and I'm fairly new to gardening so please excuse any mistakes. I've bought 3 tree lily bulbs and haven't planted them yet. Have I left it too late?
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Get them planted asap Shamrock, they will grow fast now