London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
12 messages
25/07/2012 at 16:55
I have had problems with the dreaded Lily beetle this year so I want to lift them and plant them under cover for next year. As I would like to plant something else I would like to do this ASAP. Do I treat than like spring bulbs and feed them then lift?
25/07/2012 at 17:18

It's really best to leave lilies until the green stems have died down (turned brown and brittle). It isn't absolutely necessary to lift. They are hardy and will stand very low temperatures. Although they don't like spending the Winter in wet soil.

25/07/2012 at 19:23
lindapalmara wrote (see)
I have had problems with the dreaded Lily beetle this year so I want to lift them and plant them under cover for next year. As I would like to plant something else I would like to do this ASAP. Do I treat than like spring bulbs and feed them then lift?

How you mean plant them under cover?

25/07/2012 at 23:31

As Gary says it's best to leave them, they do die back fairly quickly, some of my earlier flowering one's in pots are begining to die back.

If you do want to lift them in the green, I'd advise putting them in plastic pots full of compost before moving them to a sheltered spot to allow the foilage to die back naturally. If it's fresh compost there should be feed in there for the next 6 weeks allowing the roots to draw in enough nutrients to the bulb for a good show next year.     

25/07/2012 at 23:42
Thanks very much all!
26/07/2012 at 06:07
sotongeoff wrote (see)

How you mean plant them under cover?

Presumably you mean keeping the lilies in a pot, in a greenhouse or conservatory? That might well serve to protect against lily beetle, provided there are no lavae in the compost (or just deal with any that emerge).

Lily beetles can be a pest and affect most people who grow lilies, to some extent. But they are not hard to deal with. The best method is to look at the plants regularly, and remove,and destroy, any bright red beetles, or slimey black lavae, that you see on the plant.

26/07/2012 at 19:33
IWould like to lift them, clean the roots and put them in new compost ASAP.
26/07/2012 at 19:38

Can you make clear again what you mean by under cover?-as has been said they are best left to die back- then lift-lifting them now might mean no flowers next year

26/07/2012 at 19:55
Ok. Thanks.i will leave them but eventually I will put them in pots in the conservatory. Can't stand the annual battle of the beetles. The lollies were given to me by a neighbour when she moved and grow to over 4 feet. I might enjoy them more without the holes. Thanks again
27/07/2012 at 05:35

Lilies would make attactive specimen plants in a conservatory, and many have a strong perfume, which will be more evident in a confined space. I like the idea.

Keeping lilies in a conservatory will definitely help to protect against lily beetle. The normal way in which lily beetles find your plants is by flying in from other people's garden. (Unless someone has lilies already infested with beetles, in which case they'll be flying out to infest other people's gardens).

Lily pollen can easily stain clothes, so you need to be careful you don't brush against them.

When you get around to repotting, they will look just like Spring bulbs. But they do need to be planted deep in the pots, nearer to the bottom, than to the top.

27/07/2012 at 08:17
Thanks for all your help!
28/07/2012 at 14:42

Ditto

email image
12 messages