Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lily deteriated

staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

I bought a lovely lily bulb about 12 years ago. The flowers were ivory with speckles, a beautiful fragrance and 6 - 7 foot tall. It grew to be a large clump.   Now the flowers are plain orange, no smell and 5 foot tall.  I have given it general feed regularly and horse manure annually.  How should I prepare the area for when I replace with  new lily bulbs so I once again have lovely flowers I once had?    Thank you for advice. Mags

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

I think they just reverted after so long, not sure but it sounds like they were happy in their spot so the new ones would be to. As they are bulbs I don't think you hsve to replace the soil but not sure. they sound spectacularimage

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

Thanks Cathy.  Yes, I know they do revert. I've had several years of immense pleasure from the original planting and want to give new bulbs the best chance I can. I think I really want to know if I should dig in some manure - well-rotted farmyard stuff I've been given.  I think the soil is quite impoverished now. Mags

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Staffsmags I think bulbs take their energy from their growth and the soil needs to be 'ok' but definitely well drained, I live on top of a hill so lillies tend to break in the windimage and I don't get many years out of them, a friend told me it was because there was not enough left of the stems to provide the bulb energy and although I do my best my soil is heavy clay and it didn't seem to stop themimage

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

Thanks cathy. I will enjoy what I have for now then buy replacements when they are available later in year. Mags