London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
17 messages
12/06/2013 at 15:56

Just wanted to know what is the best time to transfer Lily of the Valley from a friend's garden to mine and does it require any special compost etc?

12/06/2013 at 17:24

moist rich soil in shade is best Bobbin and now I think

12/06/2013 at 17:57

It will either take one look at your garden and attempt a take over, or it will look and promptly die!!  It took me several years, and several donations to get it going, and now it runs all over the place - this I am happy with I must say.  However, it has found its way to the bottom of the garden which surprises me somewhat as I never put it there.  So, if this gift does not take this try, and indeed now is a good time, don't worry, it will eventualy get a grip. 

12/06/2013 at 19:05

bookertoo....Im getting rid of it.  lovely and well behaved for few years but now its exerting its authority.  dont want any now..better things.  Agree that it eventually does get a grip in its own time

12/06/2013 at 20:04

Great description  bookertoo. I've had a go and never got anywhere. Picked up a free planter a while ago and to my surprise, there it was I would like to grow it in the ground though so thinking about planting it out but don't want it to die

12/06/2013 at 23:31

Thanks for your help and information,and I will now use pots rather than the garden where the lily of the valley would be battling with the campanula for supremacy!

13/06/2013 at 07:14

I move mine last year as we where building over the patch where it was, it came back but hasn't flowered  maybe next year. If it invades why not plant it in a pot and sink it like you would with garden mint? just a thought it does smell divine.

13/06/2013 at 09:05

I killed my first lot of lily of the valley, but was delighted to get a few flowers from my second attempt this year. It's in a small patch of soil that it's very welcome to take over. I'm tempted to introduce it to an enormous shaded area under a long conifer hedge.

How bad could it be if it took over there? Would I regret it?

I adore the smell, and it looks so small and innocuous...

13/06/2013 at 10:30

They are like cats.......if they like you they go mad, if they don't they won't grow! It took me a couple of attempts to get them to grow. They now look lovely under a mature Bramley.They share the area with wild garlic, foxgloves,ferns, euphobia(orange ones) and a few other semi shade lovers.

So, if you like them and their fragrance, coax them on and they will take over the garden. Enjoy!

22/10/2013 at 17:59

Is it possible to transplant lily of the valley as late as October?

22/10/2013 at 18:15

At any time Redechan.  Easier if there's top growth though. However dig nice big clump with plenty of soil intact and replant without too much disturbance

KEF
22/10/2013 at 18:39

I had some Lily of the Valley, only a small amount, in a shady place, really wanted it as my Grandma was called Lily. Didn't do much at all for a few years. So this year I watered it and loved it, it had loads of flowers. Lovely, but it has gone"daft" taken over the entire bed. Sad to say I will try and dig it out in the spring and see if some will grow in a pot.

22/10/2013 at 18:51

KEF,  it's a love hate thing with it.  Hate it now.  Don't want any of it.  It goes deep to emerge amongst a hellebore I have nearby.  Hopefully I've removed it all now.  Not sure about a pot though.....maybe a spot somewhere where it can be restrained or maybe with geraniums.   

23/10/2013 at 00:23

Had some in a fairly large pot for a couple of years .... just one flower stem this year (none the first year) -  transplanted some last week into a smaller pot - put in cold g/house - see if they will do any better and maybe flower early so can be brought indoors whilst in flower.  If this doesn't work I'll bin them all! in no decent flowers again this year.

25/10/2013 at 16:46

I cannot get it to grow - have tried slips, established plants, bulbs.... they all die. Cannot work out why as I have exactly the conditions it is supposed to like. Must have spent a fortune on trying!

25/10/2013 at 19:06

Some times it takes 2 to 3 years to settle and come in to flower. It is not that good for guys to frow as you need patience.......lol

25/10/2013 at 19:13

I've finally got some to grow. Third try. This plant took over most of my mum's front garden but I couldn't get it going.

email image
17 messages