London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
5 messages
15/09/2013 at 10:26

Hello.  I'm a novice gardener and planted lots and lotlibel fountain, trailing and bush lobelia, which did well over the summer.  However I have little space and money and am unsure what to do with them when they fade. Some sites seem to say that they may come back after winter.  However I can't afford to buy a new round of pots and plug viola plugs have now arrived.  Should I discard this year's lot and start from scratch next year, or is it worth keeping them in the original pots or in the cold frame Over winter?

15/09/2013 at 10:53

I've never tried to collect seeds from lobelia but if your stuck for room/pot compost and start a fresh next year Lobelia is a anual plant so it will die after flowering try saving the top of your soil and but it in seed trays untill the spring after all what have you got to lose 

James

15/09/2013 at 11:39

Sss01bb

check your labels.  do you have perennials or annuals?  if perennials they will get better every year and they are tough and hardy

oh, welcome to the forum

15/09/2013 at 11:51

I think they are annual bedding lobelia. When they get tatty, chuck them out and start with fresh plants and compost next year.

15/09/2013 at 16:04

You can grow lobelia from seed but it takes for ever, and a huge amount of heat and light supplied by electricity - if you drive around East Anglia you wil see acres of brightly lit glass houses, warmly kept, many of which are growing our lobelia for next years hanging baskets.  I rather feel I am happy for the commercial growers to do all that work, and buy in the plants at basket planting time next year, rather than go to all that expense and trouble myself.  Having said that,  I have had them self seed by the wall where the baskets hang, so it must be possible with no help at all - but it does not happen every year.

Go for it if you want to, it may be harder than you think.  Best of luck if you do give it a go. 

I am assuming we are talking the usual basket plants, trailing or upright, mostly blue, some pinks and whites?  Not the tall Queen Victoria or fan types, which are 18 inches tall, and shades of red and/or pink?  These you can overwinter in a cold greenhouse, I did keep them over winter outdoors in the south, but not here in the midlands. 

email image
5 messages