London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
4 messages
15/05/2012 at 16:44

Hi folks, I would like to buy a rose bush or two for the back wall of my house but it is NE facing and loses the sun around lunchtime.

Is this too little sun for roses?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

15/05/2012 at 17:35

NO.  Some don't like full sun.  David Austin lists Teasing Georgia, Falstaff and Tess of the D'urbevilles as being good for shade and they're doing fine here.  They are modern so disease resistant and repeat flowering but will only get to about 2 or 3 metres high and wide.  DA also offers The Generous Gardener which gets to about 3 or 4 metres in my garden.

Older varieties which will get bigger are Golden Showers, Souvenir de Dr Jamain, Mme Alfred Carrière and Guinée but these are more prone to black spot and mildew and the last 3 only flower once.  

You could combine them with a group 3 clematis to carry flowers after the roses have gone over - Betty Corning, Graveteye Beauty, Pagoda, Princess Diana, Perle d'Azur.  Look them up on this site for flower size and colours and the size ofplant too as they'll need a trellis or wire support -  http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/ 

16/05/2012 at 09:07

Fantastic advice obelixx. Thanks, will get on to it.

19/05/2012 at 06:46

I was advised last year to try Peter Beales roses.  We have sandy soil - not best for roses - so took a look at their catalogue and found the info so helpful, even giving a scent rating.   There are roses for all soil types and situations, We bought 5 bare rooted plants - all of which have now put on lots of growth and looking very healthy.  Try their website or order a catalogue...

email image
4 messages