Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Looking for a ground cover plant

Hi All,

I'd like some advice/suggestions please.

I'm looking for a ground cover plant, must be evergreen, which is hardy, can just get on with it, grows as the name suggests, on the ground, not very tall, which will grow in either partial sun or partial shade in heavy soil in a woodland garden. Needs to be a rampant grower too, it needs to cover a large area quickly.

Not fussed if it flowers or not and the need for a rampant grower is so I have to buy a lot less of them given the area I want to cover! 

Thank you in advance, Heather

• Ad hoc I'd say ivy. There are lots of varieties, some cover ground faster than others and there are some that grow quite shallow. In between you could place bluebell bulbs, that way you'd have a splash of colour for a few weeks during late spring/early summer. 

• Periwinkle (Vinca) would probably work. It's quite rampant and will grow in partial or even full shade.

• Aguja would be my choice, grows anywhere, even if you park the bin on it! image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Geranium macrorrhizum would be near the top of my list. That's evergreen but thins out a bit in winter so you could have snowdrops as well.

Vinca is a trouble for me as it covers large areas then gets rust and looks awful.

Lamiums are another good one

Trachstemon orientalis is good, not evergreen but good large leaves swamp everything in the weed growing season

I find ajuga has a thin time in summer on my soil

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you all for the suggestions, all greatly appreciated. Sorry for the late response, got a little busy!