London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
13 messages
28/12/2013 at 15:04

Maby I am aksing to much.

But I dont get a lot of light, its ether indirect or shady in my room, so I am looking for a plant that will thrive and grow even in low light conditions.

I also am  novice so am not wanting anything that is hard to look after. (Cactus are great but I dont have the damed light needed for them)

I wany something VIBRANT to make the room look better. It dosent need to be a flowering plant, in fact Im more than happy with just intresting foliage. anything with stripy / spotted / odd shaped / coloured foliage is nice.

My local garden center is a very larger hillers just three miles away.

So suggest away please.

I have seen these in the LGS they have ,any colours, and i particularly like the ones with deep red vains, would these be suitable in my room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fittonia

Maby I could get a few of diffrent colours and put them all in a large wide pot.

They also have some nice looking furry ferns.

Thx in advance.

28/12/2013 at 15:20

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=5862

I had one of these at my last home which was an old  cottage with very small windows.

It did very well. I think it must be a pretty easy one to grow. I have a poor reputation with house plants

28/12/2013 at 15:58

I'd have a look at the Marantas and Calatheas - they're happy in poor light conditions.

28/12/2013 at 17:17
Hi Anthony Peace lilly is a house favourite ,it grows quite large if you want and simply droops when it wants a drink ,partial or almost full shade, they love also bathrooms,flowers are stunning and the plant has a mind of its own,my two have been flowering for months,i cant upload photos on this site but they were about 6 inches tall 7 months ago now both 18 inches tall and same wide ,i feed on Nettle juice or baby bio, avago
28/12/2013 at 17:26

Cheers guys, my rooms not dark and dingy, its certainly not getting any full direct sunlight, despite my windows faceing the sunrise. Not shady, but not bright indirect light. Dont know how to descibe it really.

28/12/2013 at 17:28

Alan, I already have two peace lillys (or rather my mum dose) and i agree they are great, very large now, seem to be in flower loads, they are in indirect (relected light) and thrive.

28/12/2013 at 17:59

hmm, as pretty as the fittonia are, after reading this http://houseplants.about.com/od/More_Plant_Profiles/p/Fittonia-How-To-Grow-Fittonia-Houseplants.htm they seem like a bit of a faf, and giveing my room dose not get a ton of air flow, they proberly wont like it as they hate stagment conditions.

However those marantas and calatheas look look pretty good, although looking online seem fussy? I am not sure how id provide the high humidaty they require? Well not without a humiderfyer, but I dont want to be running one of those at all. any low tec solutions? I can provide the water and heat they need most likly as we dont normaly let the hoouse get cold, except maby a bit at night but not below 10 degrees ever.

28/12/2013 at 18:49

Marantas and calatheas were the first houseplants I ever had in my first house so they didn't get expert care - I was 21 years old and hadn't had houseplants before!  I grouped them together on a tray of pebbles which I kept damp - that was all the humidity they needed - just keep them out of direct sunlight.  They're lovely plants. 

28/12/2013 at 18:57

ok cool, Ill give them a go?

Were is the best place to order onlione from and get a good plant but not silly prices?

I dont think my LGS has them, I did not see them a few days ago when i went and they dont have much in the way of house plants atm so I would have seen them.

28/12/2013 at 19:08

Sorry, can't help you there - I don't have many houseplants these days - it was 40 years ago when I had my marantas - I think I bought them from a chap who sold plants from a van door to door - perhaps someone else has an idea ............

29/12/2013 at 16:51

The 'string of hearts' that nutcutlet recommends above did very well when I lived in London; I hung it from the ceiling by a North facing window, it lasted for years and eventually reached the floor.

29/12/2013 at 20:44

^ be a bit worried it turns canivours, like a  Trified and try to strangle me of it was reaching the floor lol, any idea of place to order from.

30/12/2013 at 15:32

I think I bought it from a local nursery.

email image
13 messages