Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Looking for ideas

Hope this is the right place, I wasn't quite sure where would be best! I am looking to create a double layered border and I am looking for tall plants to go at the back. What are your favourites that you would turn to, to place there?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

Good choice from Verdun as always. I would add tall Michaelmas daisies for late season colour, especially aster novae-angliae which are more resistant to mildew and phlox paniculata which flower in high summer.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

All these are good suggestions. I would try to mix stuff that have different times when they are at their best. It is easy to get a border where everything is in flower at once, and then there is nothing.

Flowering times are easy to look up.

Good luck, planning a border is one of the great pleasures of gardening.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Fennel, especially the purple type and cardoons.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'd include all of the above but I'd also add some tall dahlias to give a long lasting flower season right up until the first frosts.

Posy, I gave up on fennel, in my last garden it became a nuisance self seeding everywhere and the tap root was a s*d to get out if you left them too late.

Devon.
  • Many thanks all image

I am on a phone so am struggling to see the posts properly to give a proper reply. I have pen and paper next to me writing ideas down!

I found myself inundated already and was struggling to decide.

The garden is a fairly blank canvas and I have planned what layout i would like but am now struggling with actual decisions.

I am thinking approx 5 for high - looking for variety in flowering times. Wasn't sure whether to "just" go for bushes at the back (better for wildlife?) and then in front have a variety of annuals. I love foxgloves and have previously filled a bed with a host of varieties but think perhaps something with more density.

I have a long list to consider still - although i really am not a fan of grasses.

Maybe i am best "just" going for evergreens... So many choices! Hence asking for people's favourites image
  • Ach verdun have looked at the first ten you suggested and I love them all! I need to get on the computer at some point to look at all of these properly - but it has given me inspiration although still not close to a final decision, it has moved me on a step image
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

How deep is the border ?  This would help decide what to plant too ?

• Cheers again image I've actually got a beautiful golden buddleia which I haven't decided where to put.

The size of the border? Weirdly enough I was going to decide on that based on the plants I went for... Or is that a ridiculous way round to look at it?