Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

rubber

I have a flower boarder infront of a 6ft garden  wall and i am looking for low growing blue perennials. The border gets the early morning sun. On the wall I have a ceanothus and clematis, both doing well. Then at the back a couple of delphiniums, veronica, penstemons, scabious and tradescantia. My meconopsis died. The only low growing ones i have found so far are violas and campanula blue chips. Any other suggestions please.

Pete8

For very low growing there's ajuga reptans 'burgundy glow' and similar varieties

Johnson's blue (I think) geranium in my garden today looking good-

Lyn

Lavender Agastache. 

Advertisement

Lithodora.......really blue!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/48275/Lithodora-diffusa-Heavenly-Blue/Details?

Mark56
Pete8 says:

For very low growing there's ajuga reptans 'burgundy glow' and similar varieties

Johnson's blue (I think) geranium in my garden today looking good-

See original post

Geranium Magnificum  a real beauty.

How about Penstemon Electric Blue? 

Busy-Lizzie

My Salvia "Blauhugel" flowers it's socks off all summer and the bees love it. Haven't often seen it for sale though.

Plumbago - Ceratostigma plumbaginoides

WillDB

Geranium "Rozanne" for sure: a belting good plant, flowers it's socks off! Scabiosa columbaria "Blue Butterflies" and Nepeta "Junior Walker" will also give a long flowering season. Don't forget complementary colours - limey green (Alchemilla mollis) or silver (Artemisia "Silver Mound").

Borderline

These are my recommendations.

Viola Cornuta Boughton Blue, a lovely reliable mound forming perennial that is often over looked over the white version. Understated but strking.

Convolvulus Sabatius, the blue rock bindweed, will do well in sheltered gardens.

The Blue Pimpernel Anagallis Monellii 'Sky Lover', another one worth trying if you have a shltered garden. Will give out masses of blue striking flowers.

Allium Beesianum, a gentle and naturalistic plant that works well with many other  plants. 

rubber

Thanks everone. I may have Roxanne in another border but it is about a metre tall. I did try Lithodora but it died and the same happens when I plant scabious. But I will have a look for some of the others you mentioned.

Campanula frigelis ( I think that's how you spell it).Grows about 6" in height with and 18" spread. Lovely blue flower in sun or part shade