London (change)
Tue 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
7 messages
07/05/2013 at 20:25

Hi all!

Moved into a new property and have totally stripped back the rear garden. I intend to use Cotswold stone chippings for the main body with soil boarders to give it some life and colour.

I am need some tips/advice on what to plant in my boarders that are low maintenance but add some colour in the summer/spring months. So far I have on my list white roses, daffodils, lavender, white hydrangeas, mixed peonies and small topiary plants. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

07/05/2013 at 21:00

If those are what you like then those are what you should have Sion. Your garden is for you to enjoy

07/05/2013 at 22:27

Just make sure you  don't plant two whites together...one will outdo the other.

One point though....hydrangeaa like heavy most soil and lavenders light and dry so consider this. What sort of soil do you have? Sun or shade?

Dd you want more colour or is white and evergreen topiary what ??ou are after?  Is it a large border?  

07/05/2013 at 22:46

...yes you are on the right track Sion, keep it up, otherwise I generally agree with nutcutlet, in that it's your choice, buy what appeals to you allowing consideration for soil, i.e. whether you can grow Azaleas and suchlike... or not...

for a white Hydrangea, if you can seek out 'Lanarth White', this should suit your border.  It withstands full sun and would be one of the best of it's type... it looks especially nice with hardy red/purple Fuchsias... colours that should blend in with your Cotswold stones... but the choice is yours... have fun..

08/05/2013 at 18:44

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Verdum, we are quite lucky in our garden as we have sun and shade spots so that will give me more options.

Salino, I was thinking on the lines of whites/creams at the start, but keep changing my mind. Will post photo/s in a couple of weeks when hopefully it should be virtually complete, minus a few cosmetic changes.

Take care!

08/05/2013 at 20:03

You are on the right track. Invest in perennials and shrubs because once they are established, they will keep coming back year after year. Worth growing some from seed if you are patient enough. Plant what you like - the joy is, you can always move or change things. Gardens are never "finished"! Ground cover plants will save you weeding for Britain. I recommend hardy geraniums - macrorhizzum for shade and I have a very jolly pink cranesbill that was in my garden when I arrived and that I have divided numerous times. It flowers for months and will cope with sun or shade.

08/05/2013 at 20:25

Sion - the general rule is- the smaller the space the harder the plants need to work to earn their keep so don't be afraid to take your time about deciding what you want to plant. It does apply to larger spaces too quite often! For instance, if it's an area you see a lot from your house you might want more evergreens than perennials,so your topiary would come into play in that part ,and perhaps you'd like a bit of colour there in the late winter and spring too.

The only drawback is that taking your time is easier said than done 

email image
7 messages