London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
23/02/2013 at 18:14

I would love to have a wave of blue and purple lupins (not the ones with bits of white in them, but I cannot find seeds that are only those colours.  Does anyone know of any that are just blue and purple?

23/02/2013 at 19:04

Hi GG, I inherited an all purple lupin when I moved here, don't know the name of it.

Had a great show of it in 2011, not so good last year, which might have been due to the poor weather.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18947.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Your welcome to the seeds this year but they might not grow true to type

23/02/2013 at 22:18

That looks a nice plant hollie hock, I got lupins from a seed swap this year not sure of the colour they did not put on packet

so it will be a surprise for me

I guess they come in any colour?

found this purple/blue ones

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Perennial+Plants/Perennials+A+to+Z/Perennials+J+to+L/Lupin+Plant+-+Masterpiece_227341.htm#227341

Nice plants I like them not grown them yet

23/02/2013 at 22:21
I have dwarf white /cream ones , cuttings do great i have never collected seeds .
23/02/2013 at 22:28

Hi Gardengirl and Bunny, I sowed some seeds last year of the mixed variety and the pink in the front of the pic was a 99p root from B&M. Not tried taking cuttings as yet but might be worth a go. Will be splitting the purple one this year to see if helps the original plant to regenerate as well as getting an extra one for free.

23/02/2013 at 22:29
Cuttings are really easy , same as geranium if you have taken those .
23/02/2013 at 22:43

Not got a B&M here just poundland and 99p store will have to look for some roots from there thanks hollie hock

Do they flower first year?

23/02/2013 at 22:59

Not done either Bunny, one of the jobs that I was going to try last year but not got round to it. Is it really that easy?

Hi Gardengirl, no, they were very small plants the first year, had to protect them from slugs, no flowers but grew brilliantly last year. The pic was taken in June 2012. The roots I bought were labelled "tutti frutti" but pink is what they grew into. I guess poundland and the 99p store would sell similar roots.

Already growing this year so should get another good show

23/02/2013 at 23:06
Hollie is never done any cuttings before . I used carol Klein book then went round garden
They spread so can nip a small section off by hand I found . Need to be coming up bit further yet , if yours arnt up already , mine are always late here ...everything late here.
24/02/2013 at 10:47

because of my heavy clay soil I grew them in pots this year(big pots) and stored in shed,they are still green and no slug attack.like the photo of the lupins,such an old fashioned plant of imagined cottage garden style.

24/02/2013 at 11:14

Beautifull photo hollie hock, I adore Lupins, I had one in a pot last year and it was huge. but towards the end of the year the slugs & snails got the better of me. I'm hoping that it comes up again this year. (fingers crossed)

24/02/2013 at 11:43

Will definately give the lupin cuttings a go this year Bunny as well as taking cuttings off the lovely Bowles mauve wallflowers that I got as small cheap plants but have grown into lovely shrubs and still flowering. Although they are growing I think it's too early (even for me) to take cuttings now.

The purple one had some lovely off shoots last year which I gave to a non gardening friend, regret that now as I think she might have killed it.

I'm on the look out for a white variety, did get some tiny ones last year but they soon disappeared and i'm not hopefull they will come back this year.

I do like them flowering rose and so do the bees, glad yours are doing well and the slugs haven't found them.

Clicked on your link Gardengirl, they look stunning

24/02/2013 at 11:46
Gardening Granny wrote (see)

I would love to have a wave of blue and purple lupins (not the ones with bits of white in them, but I cannot find seeds that are only those colours.  Does anyone know of any that are just blue and purple?

I think lupins are pretty promiscuous so one grown from seed will not always come true

To get a specific colour-you need a root or cutting

24/02/2013 at 11:51
I got my white at standard garden centre but they are dwarf which I find better to be honest .

Found this , you will need to copy and paste I think ... Shows basal cutting geranium , same for lupin ... I pull off rather than cut and tidy up before planting.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-take-basal-cuttings/24.html
24/02/2013 at 12:07

Thanks Bunny, will have a look

I have seen the dwarf ones about, might try one out but I do like the big specimens, fills a large space. Have you found them to be more slug resistant or do you prefer them just because they are smaller and maybe more compact?

24/02/2013 at 12:12
24/02/2013 at 12:14
Thanks Dave iPad wouldn't provide link .
24/02/2013 at 12:16
I wanted white as I have a bed by deck of soft colours, blue whites and pinks , I found the white to produce plenty flowers , wouldn't say slug resistant though ! I keep removing any 'scoffed' foliage and prowl at night for the offenders .
24/02/2013 at 12:18

Thanks Discodave, I'm a huge fan of them as well. I have found that here the slugs/snails seem to go for them when the first smaller leaves are through and then they tend to leave them alone, or it could be that I don't notice as the plants are then bigger so aren't so affected by them. Both the ones in the pictures are now sprouting well and don't appear to have been nibbled..........yet. I have another large pink one in another bed which is still dormant

24/02/2013 at 12:20

Thanks hollie hock I will give them another huge push this year..

1 to 20 of 30 messages