London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
3 messages
17/06/2012 at 19:04
Hi, I'm a very novice gardener, in fact this is the first summer of having my own garden. I planted a lupin in the raised bed at the back of our garden and it was doing very well until the very wet period we had in May when my garden was invaded by slugs who ate it to death. I have now started trapping them with a trap filled with beer but it was too late for the lupin which has now completely died back with nothing viable above the soil. Will it grow back next year or should I look to replace it? Also, rather than starting another thread - are there any plants you can recommend for planting this time of year to help build up said bed into a country garden look?
17/06/2012 at 19:19

The lupin may even come back this year-keep any eye on it and take slug precautions as necessary

17/06/2012 at 20:37

Some cottage garden plants which slugs will (usually) leave alone are Nepeta (also known as catmint or catnip), roses, foxgloves, verbena bonariensis, hardy geraniums and astrantia major (Hattie's pincushion) - they should get you started - good luck 

email image
3 messages