London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
7 messages
17/06/2012 at 19:04
Hi, I'm a very novice gardener, in fact this is the first summer of having my own garden. I planted a lupin in the raised bed at the back of our garden and it was doing very well until the very wet period we had in May when my garden was invaded by slugs who ate it to death. I have now started trapping them with a trap filled with beer but it was too late for the lupin which has now completely died back with nothing viable above the soil. Will it grow back next year or should I look to replace it? Also, rather than starting another thread - are there any plants you can recommend for planting this time of year to help build up said bed into a country garden look?
17/06/2012 at 19:19

The lupin may even come back this year-keep any eye on it and take slug precautions as necessary

17/06/2012 at 20:37

Some cottage garden plants which slugs will (usually) leave alone are Nepeta (also known as catmint or catnip), roses, foxgloves, verbena bonariensis, hardy geraniums and astrantia major (Hattie's pincushion) - they should get you started - good luck 

22/05/2014 at 15:58

Silver grey leaved artemisia and silvery Stachys are good bets and thrive in well drained sunny sites. Sedums are reliable and you can get them with lovely purple leaves. Also there are a wide variety of hemerocallis (daylilies) which build up into big clumps, look very dramatic in flower and are very unfussy. My favourite is Hemerocallis 'Stafford.'  I'm getting carried away here!

22/05/2014 at 16:57

they seem to leave my roses lavender and peonies alone, i kept my sweet peas alive using beer traps and eggshells....but forgot about my 7 new clematis! they ate my cirrhosa freckles to death i think.. i've repotted it ( all others have recovered...) roots look ok, keeping fingers crossed

22/05/2014 at 19:10

Heucheras seem fairly slug resistant. 

This year a delphinium, echinacea, leucanthemum, a couple of lupins  and a scabious have fallen victim to slug attack. All but the delphinium.....a true beauty for several years too....have recovered after clearing the slugs.  I think all will flower.  

For me,,this has been the worst year for slugs and I guess it's down to the wet, mild winter 

22/05/2014 at 19:38
email image
7 messages