London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
18 messages
18/08/2014 at 10:12

Hello, hope you'll all enjoying summer. Just wondering if I can lift and two large Lupins yet?

18/08/2014 at 10:25

I'd wait until Autumn when they have died down

18/08/2014 at 10:33

Thanks Fleurisa, I have a couple of sedum that I was hoping to pop in their place.  

18/08/2014 at 10:36

I moved several and split a couple a few weeks back Caral, if it helps. I did it when the soil was wet, cut the foliage down and kept them well watered and they all are showing new growth now. I also moved sedums and they were absolutely fine. Probably not advisable but it's done now

18/08/2014 at 10:58

I often move plants when we're not 'meant to', but as Victoria says if the soil's kept damp and you cut the foliage back to minimise stress  then it's not usually a problem. Get a big rootball out and prepare the new site thoroughly as well, and the plant will barely notice it's moved  

I move sedums regularly Victoria. I think they're the easiest of all - stick 'em in and off they go! 

18/08/2014 at 11:15

Ive moved virtually the whole garden this summer, including roses and not lost any of them.  As fairy girl says I dig out a fairly large root ball, use plenty of rotted manure and good soil and keep them well watered.  Roses are already sprouting so must be OK.  I moved lupins and they didnt even droop, it was as if nothing had happened.  Dont know if Im just lucky.

18/08/2014 at 11:20

It's all in the prep Yvie. We get a lot of rain through summer and that helps. I've moved conifers at this time of year with no issue because they got plenty of watering in. Rain's always better than a hosepipe too, but it's really just timing and vigilance 

18/08/2014 at 16:03

Fairygirl, you split them? Wow, how do you do that with a tap root?  

18/08/2014 at 16:21

I have terrible trouble keeping lupins as I have the national collection of slugs in my garden.  How do all you folks cope with your lupins being (not) eaten?  I grew some pulins this year from seed and have had to keep them in pots placed on grilling and I would so love to put them in the ground.

18/08/2014 at 16:37

Hi Forester2 the only way that I know that actually works is to go out after dark with BBQ tongs, torch and a jug of salt water, on a collect and kill mission. 

18/08/2014 at 16:46

When I split mine Caral, I just hacked them in half with a spade. It wasn't easy but eventually I ripped them apart. I split 2 large ones. There seemed to be loads of thick rubbery roots and each half had a share of them. I also snapped a couple when I dug them up but they seem fine. I'm sure it's alright to split lupins and it isn't just something I invented. Fairygirl or others will be able to confirm

My lupins do get a bit chewed Forester, but by pure luck I planted them in my front garden which doesn't get many slugs as there are no hidey holes and I rarely water so it bakes in summer. They get ravaged by aphids tho

18/08/2014 at 16:53

Caral - is that a quick death method?

18/08/2014 at 16:55

Think it was Victoria that split her lupins ...ooh matron...

I no longer grow them because of the aforementioned slugs,snails and aphids, but they're like most perennials - just pull, or split apart with a knife/spade or similar. Victoria's mentioned getting enough root on each bit which is all you have to make sure of. Cut back some foliage to minimise stress and keep an eye on the watering. Best done when dormant though. You can do cuttings as well if you have the time and inclination to check them through the winter. 

21/08/2014 at 18:07

Thanks Victoria and Fairygirl, I moved one Lupin - but decided not to split it until Autumn (although it feels like that today.. brrr! ). Its seems okay, so fingers crossed.  

Pretty quick Forester2, although cutting them in two with a spade is pretty quick too!   

21/08/2014 at 19:07

I moved two conifers this summer, they were about 30 years old,,i had to use a chain saw to relocate them to a log pile, didn't even need to water them !! At last i can reclaim the top end of my garden, the spread of the branches was almost 25ft, and the debris every autumn was awful, sorted at last. They were something we inherited when we bought the house

21/08/2014 at 19:23

I move things around all the time. It's fine as long as you dig a good root ball. No different to buying plants in pots from the garden centre. Having said that, I have a plan to move loads of stuff in October when the annuals have died down!!

21/08/2014 at 19:44

I keep my lupins permanently in pots to protect them from the voracious Cheshire slugs, but has anyone any environmentally friendly ideas for defeating the equally voracious and prolific lupin aphids? Even ladybirds won't eat them, and in such a high-rainfall area I can't blast them off with a hose without drowning the poor plants in their pots...

21/08/2014 at 19:48

I wipe aphids off with my hands Beth or use washing up liquid in a squirty bottle that you can direct more accurately and with less collateral damage than a hose 

I use 'Fairy' of course....

email image
18 messages